DONT DO THIS!!!

This is a Horrible idea a lot people do this because
1. They dont buy a bass amp
2. There too lazy to save up to get a bass amp
3. Are retarded

This could mess up your bass BADLY Just warning those beginning bass players out there

Rock on

-RyAn-
My Axes

Epiphone Les Paul Special Bass Guitar
Ibanez Mikro Bass Guitar
Squire Bronko Bass Guitar
Gibson SG Electric Guitar
Dean vendetta
Squire Bullet Strat

Call me Ryan, Thanks Bro
Quote by BassPlayer299
This could mess up your bass BADLY

AFAIK it wont do anything to the bass, but it will destroy the guitar amp speaker.
this guy is dumb as ****....even I know plenty of artists who have used guitar amps in there rigs before...its usually for a distorted sound if that artist likes the particular amp.
White/Cream Faded 1966 Stratocaster
100 Watt All-Tube JVM410H
1960 Lead Cab-B
-------------------------------------------------
There is nothing wrong with using a bass through a guitar amp.
But there is a problem using a bass through a guitar amp, into guitar speakers.
Wait, I thought guitar amps are what you're supposed to use. I mean, a bass is just an easier guitar right?
Quote by gwath42
There is nothing wrong with using a bass through a guitar amp.
But there is a problem using a bass through a guitar amp, into guitar speakers.

+1

the speakers are what will be damaged. unless of course you switched them out for bass speakers
But I must imply, that vice versa (Electric guitar -> tube overdrive -> bass amp -> my 4x10" halfstack) it works ICREDIBLE - lots of low end, meaty sound, I'm actually getting an electric guitar because of this.
Not right you can use guitar amps and speakers with bass, its done by a couple of artists and works. But only for distortion.
I think this would be good, if it had been done properly, with a bit of common sense.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by brentonkim
Wait, I thought guitar amps are what you're supposed to use. I mean, a bass is just an easier guitar right?

Genius.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by BassPlayer299
DONT DO THIS!!!

This is a Horrible idea a lot people do this because
1. They dont buy a bass amp
2. There too lazy to save up to get a bass amp
3. Are retarded

This could mess up your bass BADLY Just warning those beginning bass players out there

Rock on

-RyAn-

(1) Don't has an apostrophe.
(2) One exclamation point is enough.
(3) Horrible should not be capitalized.
(4) It should say "horrible idea, but a lot of people..."
(4) don't has an apostrophe.
(5) They're, not there.
(6) Who's the subject of Are retarded?
(7) Ignorant, not retarded. They don't know better, but they can learn.
(8) It will blow out guitar cabs. It will NOT damage the bass.
(9) Period after BADLY.

That's just from a quick glance-through, I may have missed one or two things.

Also, there's no need to sticky this. It's already in the FAQ, so no need to clutter the sticky space. Besides, most people don't read the stickies, so these threads will re-occur no matter how much you try to preempt them.

/pedantic
But, at least stickying this might catch the eye of newcomers before they post a thread with the same title.
Chances are, a newcomer who posts a thread like this has not read the FAQ, and to sticky this thread would stop the ones who happen to glance over it.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by obeythepenguin
(1) Don't has an apostrophe.
(2) One exclamation point is enough.
(3) Horrible should not be capitalized.
(4) It should say "horrible idea, but a lot of people..."
(4) don't has an apostrophe.
(5) They're, not there.
(6) Who's the subject of Are retarded?
(7) Ignorant, not retarded. They don't know better, but they can learn.
(8) It will blow out guitar cabs. It will NOT damage the bass.
(9) Period after BADLY.

That's just from a quick glance-through, I may have missed one or two things.

Also, there's no need to sticky this. It's already in the FAQ, so no need to clutter the sticky space. Besides, most people don't read the stickies, so these threads will re-occur no matter how much you try to preempt them.

/pedantic

You sir, have just one yourself over 9000 internet points and a certified slice of internet cake.

Now seriously, well said.

PS. THIS.
Quote by c3powil
But, at least stickying this might catch the eye of newcomers before they post a thread with the same title.
Chances are, a newcomer who posts a thread like this has not read the FAQ, and to sticky this thread would stop the ones who happen to glance over it.

True. If you are anxious, frustrated with lack of information and, as in this case, illiterate, chances are, that you wouldn't fancy reading a big bulky FAQ thread, no matter how well it is written.
But... If we start stickying all of these topics that are awnsered in the FAQ thread, we're gonna have 5 pages of FAQ stickys. Tho some threads, ONE PURPOUCE THREADS, NOT ONE BIG, IMPRACTICAL FAQ, for example intuitivly named "Beginer gear on a budget thread", "Gear compatability thread", "String FAQ" should be stickied, in order to have one centralized thread, that will awnser all questions for beginners, who with no bad intentions, didn't look up the clutter of dead-end, one-person-asking-for-help threads. This has proven to be helpfull in the recording/production UG forum, with the VST effects megathread, where people helpfully awnser all questions, but in one thread only. And let's all not forget, the good feeling of helping others, when a simple "Yes/no, because" is suffitient.
Quote by c3powil

It's a noble intention, but sadly it's not going to work.

First of all, I wouldn't sticky this thread. It's inaccurate, lacking in readability and basic English grammar, and overall thoroughly unprofessional. Well-meaning as the post is, stickying it would only serve to make this forum look bad.

Second of all, do any of the stickies really catch your eye? Then quick, find the stickies in this screenshot:

Yes, they're quite obvious when you know what to look for, but it still took you a second, dinnit? You have the word "Sticky:", a small red exclamation point, and... well, that's it. If you're not looking for them, they look just like every other post. Stickies don't stand out. Now, compare with this mock-up:

If I were coding the forum software, that's how I'd do it. Not that exaggerated, obviously; it would probably be a more subtle color difference, and I probably wouldn't use red because of its negative associations (warnings, errors, forbidden things, etc.) As it is, though, most forum software is atrociously designed -- vBulletin is, phpBB is, Invision is, all of them are. Look at that pointless empty column just left of the post title. It's amazing how it simultaneously has that much clutter and that much wasted space.

Anyway, my experience with A & C has shown that the only people who read the stickies are the ones who don't need to. Now, I agree with nesveikuolis that some stickies, like a "how to buy/what gear" thread are quite useful. But they only help so much. For one thing, some threads are simply more specific than a one-size-fits-all sticky could ever answer. Yet most gear recommendation threads are pretty routine, because the posters don't see the stickies. The sticky doesn't help those posters so much as it helps regulars like myself who constantly need to post the damn link!

One last note: If you don't believe me that stickying everything is impractical, I have about 20 or 30 threads bookmarked for quick access, and that's just for one forum (A & C). If you even could have that many stickies -- I'm not sure if vBulletin allows it or not -- you'd have to scroll through several pages just to get to the actual, normal posts! Yes, you could do a master information thread to get them all in one place, but tell me, when was the the last time you read one of those?

Anyway, sorry for the mini-dissertation; I just find all this usability stuff quite interesting.
Last edited by obeythepenguin at Jan 1, 2010,
:P Wow
My Axes

Epiphone Les Paul Special Bass Guitar
Ibanez Mikro Bass Guitar
Squire Bronko Bass Guitar
Gibson SG Electric Guitar
Dean vendetta
Squire Bullet Strat

Call me Ryan, Thanks Bro
Quote by obeythepenguin
It's a noble intention, but sadly it's not going to work.

First of all, I wouldn't sticky this thread. It's inaccurate, lacking in readability and basic English grammar, and overall thoroughly unprofessional. Well-meaning as the post is, stickying it would only serve to make this forum look bad.

Second of all, do any of the stickies really catch your eye? Then quick, find the stickies in this screenshot:

Yes, they're quite obvious when you know what to look for, but it still took you a second, dinnit? You have the word "Sticky:", a small red exclamation point, and... well, that's it. If you're not looking for them, they look just like every other post. Stickies don't stand out. Now, compare with this mock-up:

If I were coding the forum software, that's how I'd do it. Not that exaggerated, obviously; it would probably be a more subtle color difference, and I probably wouldn't use red because of its negative associations (warnings, errors, forbidden things, etc.) As it is, though, most forum software is atrociously designed -- vBulletin is, phpBB is, Invision is, all of them are. Look at that pointless empty column just left of the post title. It's amazing how it simultaneously has that much clutter and that much wasted space.

Anyway, my experience with A & C has shown that the only people who read the stickies are the ones who don't need to. Now, I agree with nesveikuolis that some stickies, like a "how to buy/what gear" thread are quite useful. But they only help so much. For one thing, some threads are simply more specific than a one-size-fits-all sticky could ever answer. Yet most gear recommendation threads are pretty routine, because the posters don't see the stickies. The sticky doesn't help those posters so much as it helps regulars like myself who constantly need to post the damn link!

One last note: If you don't believe me that stickying everything is impractical, I have about 20 or 30 threads bookmarked for quick access, and that's just for one forum (A & C). If you even could have that many stickies -- I'm not sure if vBulletin allows it or not -- you'd have to scroll through several pages just to get to the actual, normal posts! Yes, you could do a master information thread to get them all in one place, but tell me, when was the the last time you read one of those?

Anyway, sorry for the mini-dissertation; I just find all this usability stuff quite interesting.

Basically the fact, that stickys =~ regular thread, they don't get noticed. And now seriously, if I were a newbie looking for some advice, I honestly doubt that I would look at the FAQ megathread, heck I doubt that I'd even look at a read-before-posting thread, not to think about searching. BUT.... If there was a thead that has a noticably different color than the others and served one purpouse (Like "String questions", "Newbie gear questions") that would encourage them to use the damn thing. Newbies don't want to use the FAQ's because they think their question is special and unique and is not awnsered elswhere, and also to show their faces/avatars to the community. If there were threads where they can ask (Reading makes them feel as a passive part of the community, or "why the hell did I sign up then?") newbie questions and get replies there, instead of a flood of pointless, dead-end threads, we could minimize the ammount of threads like this one. Of course, most of the users that have spent more time on these forums and have gotten adjusted to the etiquette of threads/posts, can moderate their own new thread spamming, because they know what is a valid reason to start a thread. Anyway, I think we hijacked this thread on gear advice and sidetracked it to forum posting etiquette issues.
Cheers,
Jonas.
Quote by nesveikuolis
BUT.... If there was a thead that has a noticably different color than the others and served one purpouse (Like "String questions", "Newbie gear questions") that would encourage them to use the damn thing.

Here's a screenshot of my "quick access" threads:

I think that's 39 links, if I counted correctly. Now, some of them are silly things purely to gratify my own vanity, but at least 18 of them are useful things I refer to quite frequently. You want to scroll through 18 sticky posts every time you check the forum?

Quote by nesveikuolis
Newbies don't want to use the FAQ's because they think their question is special and unique and is not awnsered elswhere, and also to show their faces/avatars to the community. If there were threads where they can ask (Reading makes them feel as a passive part of the community, or "why the hell did I sign up then?") newbie questions and get replies there, instead of a flood of pointless, dead-end threads, we could minimize the ammount of threads like this one.

The problem is "ONLY" threads aren't very effective. They're cluttered, impersonal, and only marginally more welcoming than passive reading. There is a place where they can ask pointless newbie questions, you get to it like this:

"Pointless, dead-end threads" are simply a fact of life with any online community. Unless, that is, you go all elitist and commit regular purges of the uninitiated. I ran a forum in a past life, and did that quite regularly. Needless to say, it wasn't a particularly active community.

Quote by nesveikuolis
Of course, most of the users that have spent more time on these forums and have gotten adjusted to the etiquette of threads/posts, can moderate their own new thread spamming, because they know what is a valid reason to start a thread. Anyway, I think we hijacked this thread on gear advice and sidetracked it to forum posting etiquette issues.
Cheers,
Jonas.

Oh, but hijacked threads are the most interesting kind!
obeythepenguin,

Some good points there, but all of that is VERY subjective and will make for a VERY long discussion, preferably with enough beer And just for comparison, the basschat forums are a very good example of a properly organized and serious forum Tho I find UG to be more active, since basschat is UK bassed.

And yes, thread-jacking is most fun indeed

Cheers,
Jonas.
Basschat i a very well run forum yes, but i believe they have a lot more mods etc and it is a smaller community.
The thing about stickies is everyone ignores them, which has been pointed out. But maybe to be a little more stricter. One thing i like about talkbass is its stickys are more links to threads that went into a discussion and explained anything. For instance we could start a thread, that begins with the question, ie Can i use a guitar amp? and then the forum it self in an educated way goes through it pulling up all relative point and scraping what isn't needed.

Of course its time and effort and all these threads could be put into one stickied post so you just have headings that take you places.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Educational responses are incredibly rare in this forum though.

The usual way things happen, as I have observed.
-Initial question
-Incorrect answer based on speculation or ignorance
-Plus one
-Plus one
-Plus one
-Correct answer copied from another site but misinterpreted
-Plus one
-Plus one
-Plus one
-Corrected right answer.
Quote by fatgoogle
The thing about stickies is everyone ignores them, which has been pointed out. But maybe to be a little more stricter. One thing i like about talkbass is its stickys are more links to threads that went into a discussion and explained anything. For instance we could start a thread, that begins with the question, ie Can i use a guitar amp? and then the forum it self in an educated way goes through it pulling up all relative point and scraping what isn't needed.

I do something similar with the A & C Strings Thread: Give a concise answer, then link to longer threads with more discussion. Of course, I probably add "electric strings on acoustic" threads about once a week...

Quote by fatgoogle
Of course its time and effort and all these threads could be put into one stickied post so you just have headings that take you places.

Quick, find the master info thread:

For bonus points, grab a stopwatch, go to A & C, and tell me how long it takes to answer this question: Will removing all the strings damage my guitar neck? (N.B. if you already know, pretend you don't.) Report back with the link and the time.
Quote by brentonkim

whoever posted this is either a bass bashing cocksucker or they dont know anything about bass and shouldnt be on this site let alone posting in the bass forums. I think bass throgh a guitar amp is ok even tho it sounds kinda shitty but the other way around can really **** up a bass amp cuz of the high notes.
Yet again wrong ^
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Wako kid proves my point about this forum.
People don't know what they are talking about, but still feel like telling others, thus spreading wrong information like a disease.

Even reading the other posts in this thread would show him he is dreadfully wrong.
I think I just died from the level of stupid in this thread.

BassPlayer299: this is covered in the faq on the first page, read the stickies.
Casketcreep: this is not getting stickied it's getting closed.
Obeythepenguin: take it up in the site suggestions forum, I'm sure the Russians will do more about it than I will.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.