should I upgrade my guitar or my amp, I currently have a jackson js30ke , and a line 6 spider 3 30.
not hopin on the bandwagon here but this is from exp...line 6 forsure...

anyways..few questions..

what genres you play
budget for a new amp
do you like built in effects
Last edited by MetalGuitarest at Dec 31, 2009,
Are you happy with how the guitar feels and plays? If so, I'd say get a better amp, but if the guitar feels bad to you, you might want to upgrade it.

Welcome to UG btw
Having just bought a Peavey ValveKing 212 today, if you can play your guitar then get the amp!
In the Valley of Vung
Your guitar. I want it!

Get a new amp and some nice pickups. GFS crunchy pats from guitarfetish are my faves
my budget is about $700, and Im not that into built in effects except for reverb maybe.
Well, what do you play and what tones are you most interested in? I would say a decent tube amp with a pedal or two would be a better and more noticeable upgrade than getting a new guitar. Line 6 amps tend to hide nuances and guitar/pickup differences. Tone is subjective but I feel that this is a reasonable assessment.
Keep the amp and buy a dean dime guitar. You're all set then.
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
New amp, definitely. I just recently upgraded from a 15w Spider III to a JCM 800 half stack (that's a hell of an upgrade, haha), but that ran me about $1100 counting the cab. Of course you could probably find a JCM 900 combo for your budget, and those are pretty decent. But it really depends on what sound you're going for.

That Jackson is probably fine, but you might wanna upgrade your pickups. That's where they tend to cut corners on lower-end guitars.
thanks for all the replies.
I'm going mostly for a high gain kind of sound but I like to have a great clean sound too.
so which amps would you guys recommend.
I'll just go off the bat and say I was pretty pleased with the ht5, decent metal tones and decent cleans , not exactly GREAT cleans but very exceptable. The gain sounds very sweet though for my sore ears. You can push the ht5 into high gain with a good overdrive, and the cleans can be even better with a tube swap. Just my two cents.
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
tell us some of the bands who have the kind of sound you are looking for... saying you want high gain and good cleans doesnt really help
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
tell us some of the bands who have the kind of sound you are looking for... saying you want high gain and good cleans doesnt really help

I'm mostly looking for a dream theater or megadeth kind of sound
amp~ if u like the line 6 modeling get the Spider Valve.. its full tubed and you get the all the wonderful play from a tube amp and they effects modeling to boot.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by DeadlyDevil1985
amp~ if u like the line 6 modeling get the Spider Valve.. its full tubed and you get the all the wonderful play from a tube amp and they effects modeling to boot.

I don't really want another modeling amp.
Maybe a bugera, which do clones of high gain peaveys, also if you are willing to go used you might get a mesa of some kind - f-series or a dual caliber, but i dont no prices as im from aus...
also check out used marshall dsl's -maidenish, or engls - chris boderick of megadeth uses em

Hope this helps
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by the_tool
I was looking at the peavey 6505 combo, so is that one any good?

just get the halfstack, its actually MORE mobile than the combo as you can make it two lighter pices than one massive brick

also go with the 6505+ if youy want good cleans
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
yeah the 6505 would be good and the 112 6505 plus will have USABLE cleans, nothing amazing.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
If you have that much money, do what I did and buy a crate blue voodoo half stack. Unlikely to cost any more than $500-$600

Or you can get the combo: EBAY LINK

The older ones are the coolest. They're on a par with Bugera IMO. I've never had a problem with it minus slightly worn out pots and the tube illumination lights blowing.
Quote by mcconnachiea
If you have that much money, do what I did and buy a crate blue voodoo half stack. Unlikely to cost any more than $500-$600

Or you can get the combo: EBAY LINK

The older ones are the coolest. They're on a par with Bugera IMO. I've never had a problem with it minus slightly worn out pots and the tube illumination lights blowing.

thanks, I'm definitely going to look into that one
Do

But it has quite a lot of highs. I turn the treble almost all the way down. However, you might want to get an EQ pedal to get the most out of it. You can play this thing in your bedroom at midnight but its loud as hell on stage
Quote by mcconnachiea
Do

But it has quite a lot of highs. I turn the treble almost all the way down. However, you might want to get an EQ pedal to get the most out of it. You can play this thing in your bedroom at midnight but its loud as hell on stage

If you turn down the treble on it will you still be able to get a nice heavy sound out of it?
up to you, really, both your guitar and amp are kinda beginners' models. You could blow it all on either an amp or guitar (if you like your current guitar, or amp, for example), or split the budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by the_tool
If you turn down the treble on it will you still be able to get a nice heavy sound out of it?

Absolutely. Its its just that higher up the neck, it will sound really scratchy. Alternatively, You could turn the tone control down for solos, or switch to the neck pickup to retain the crunchy rhythm sound.

In my next build, I plan to put in a tone bypass for this. Its not an uncommon characteristic of amps.
alright, I narrowed it down to either the crate blue voodoo or the peavey 6505+ combo. I will also stretch my budget by a little bit and get some nice pickups
http://orangeamps.com/tinyterror/

maybe take a look at this. I haven't tried it but the other day when I called up my shop the said these were pretty nice and had a good tone. He is a metal player and knows that's what I play. They sold them from $800, that is a head and a 1x12 cab.
In the Valley of Vung
Quote by Mr. Parker
http://orangeamps.com/tinyterror/

maybe take a look at this. I haven't tried it but the other day when I called up my shop the said these were pretty nice and had a good tone. He is a metal player and knows that's what I play. They sold them from $800, that is a head and a 1x12 cab.

I like how it sounds but its not exactly what I'm going for
If you're only in the bedroom do you really need the stack?
Also you could get the Peavey combo and if you want if you start gigging and think you need a fuller sound you could get a cab to go with it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by the_tool
I'm mostly looking for a dream theater or megadeth kind of sound

Used MarkII/III combos should cover you fine. You can probably get one for $700 if you're lucky but if you expand your budget a bit, it's a done deal.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.