I was searching UsedOttawa and i found this guy selling this Kramer guitar that looked like the EVH Frankenstrat
Is this the real deal? (going for $430 CAD)

All these pictures are from the seller.
Anybody have experience with these guitars?

In the 3rd photo you see a kill switch to the very right

Last edited by Dosu25 at Jan 1, 2010,
A lot of people sell knock-offs of this guitar that they made themselves. Not to say that it's bad...heck, even EVH's was a "knockoff".

Looks like a guitar that somebody customized.
Theres also this picture but since he took it with his phone and as you can see its not the best of quality, that the backplate that holds the neck is chrome (i think) and basicly reflects the image of his phone, also seeing as it was puny I decided not to include it. I cant make out if it says Kramer but it probably does or he wouldn't need to take that picture, and it has some serial number.

Basicly an absolute crap picture
Last edited by Dosu25 at Jan 1, 2010,
from what I have seen, the EVH kramer does not have a pickup ring, or a killswitch.. so
also the stripes do not seem to match from this add, I would say it is a kramer someone modified

Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
from what I have seen, the EVH kramer does not have a pickup ring, or a killswitch.. so
also the stripes do not seem to match from this add, I would say it is a kramer someone modified

Yea, ok cool, i was really confused about the "kill switch"
Quote by Dosu25
Yea, ok cool, i was really confused about the "kill switch"

I'm from ottawa as well and I believe there is someone who makes them as a hobby here as I see them for sale on occasion.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slovak_Ghost

how the hell does the pickup stay down?
Classical Guitarist
There were NEVER any official EVH Kramer guitars sold to the public. Ed had the Kramer 'Hot for Teacher' guitar, Kramer 1984 and Kramer 5150 painted up in stripes and a bunch of backups, but never did Kramer sell any guitars with EVH's name on it or with EVH stripes. The ones that you do see are either Ed's own that sell for thousands of dollars or ones people repaint themselves or project guitars like the one I did.

Now that we have that out of the way, that guitar looks to be a Kramer Focus 1000 re-painted in EVH's stripes. Several clues, one is the OFR with the old wood screw pivot posts, the other clue is the neck shape and headstock and also the control cavity. The headstock seems correct for a Focus 1000 banana headstock which was made in '85. Get him to take a photo of the neckplate and headstock and I'll be able to tell ya for sure. The Focus line is great, made in Japan by ESP at the time with German OFR's. Definitely killer guitars especially for what they go for currently. Which brings me to the next point...

He's asking $430 cause he thinks he can get a bit more cause of the paintjob. If I'm correct and that it is a Focus, hopefully halo71 can help me out on this, then those Focus's go for around $350 no more, and I mean dead mint for $350. I picked up mine for $240 CDN. The paint should not bump up the value that much in my opinion cause its something he did personally and isn't a factory finish which in my view doesn't increase the value of the guitar in any way especially since its a fairly piss poor striping job.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Jan 1, 2010,
I found the ad, the guy isn't too descriptive in it is he. I be he painted it and doesn't like the results so he's trying to dump it cause he ruined a perfectly good Focus 1000. Here's a photo of the neckplate, its definitely a Kramer Focus 1000

I'd you want a Kramer, keep checking CL and Ebay. Buy a Focus model or Pacer or Baretta and so on. Go on vintagekramer.com for more info. I'd pass on this on, and look elsewhere. For $430 you can score a late 80's USA made Kramer like a Pacer and not a Focus with a home made paint job.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Jan 1, 2010,