I have got a Marshall 30DFX amp at the moment which has actually done me well. However, I am looking to upgrade to an all-tube amp to get greater sounds out of my guitars especially my American strat, but also by Jackson dinky. Please help me decide which is the best to choose as all im after is something really versatile so something that can play blues right through to metal. Help me decide please
Last edited by dj.myburgh at Jan 1, 2010,
the tsl will do everything you would want.

the valveking doesn't even come remotely close to the tonal qualities of the tsl
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I would choose the TSL 602, AFAIK it is a very versatile amp.
Also, how much are you willing to spend?
Well the Marshall has got $1000 off it at the Rockshop which is sitting at the same price as the Valvekings full price now so if you look at it that way there should be no debate of which to go with right? New Zealand has high prices on instruments and the NZ price for the Valveking is at $1500 where the Marshall is normally $2499 down to $1500 so what you guys think haha?
well i can't say anything about the peavy, but the marshall tsl isn't that great. What you really want is the DSL. Marshall made the dsl first and tried to improve upon it by adding a channel (thus the TSL) and they really just screwed up the whole amp and the end product didn't sound that great.

I have the Tube head jcm dsl 100w and its pretty excellent, you can get them for around 500 off ebay. Of course they do make a combo amp version (dsl 401 i believe) which is what you appear to be looking for. I would recommend just getting the tube stack version and if cramped for space just get a nice 2x12 speaker cab. This thing has really awesome cleans (which marshall isn't know for) and it can run blues and all the classic sounds. as far as metal, i always boost my signal with a tube screamer to get my metal tones, honestly i can't think of a metal player who doesn't use some sort of overdrive/boost pedal for there tube amps.

But yeah the marshall dsl would be the one to get
No contest. Marshall.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Ok well I will have to see, but out of those 2 the Marshall seems like the better option I think. I will deffinitely look into the dsl for sure though but not sure if they have a good price on it at the store
I mean, I have had a marshall and it hasnt let me down and it's not even tubes. So this Marshall should deff perform
out of these two...

TSL (and I'm a Peavey fanboy).

look for a DSL if you can though.
out of the 2 listed the TSL, but as mentioned the DSL is better.......i`m a VK owner and use it regularly but pretty soon i`m getting rid of it and getting a Carvin Legacy
Yea for sure

If anyone can answer this though. The JCM TSL601 and 602 are both all-tube amps right? Im pritty certain they both are, the muppet at the store the other day didn't seem to know what he was on about when I was talking to him haha
Quote by SC86

Vtm's are single channel. TSL and valveking have 3 and 2 channels respectively.

The VTM is going to be the least versatile of them all.

Besides that, if you're going to go for a VTM why not go for a 5150/6505 (or 5150 II/6505+)? (I heard that they were based off the VTM, and they are infinitely easier to find)

Quote by dj.myburgh
I mean, I have had a marshall and it hasnt let me down and it's not even tubes. So this Marshall should deff perform

I wouldn't base trust in marshall on that.
The MG (I know you have one) is known for being one of the shittiest amps ever, early Marshall DSL combos would catch fire, etc.

However, the TSL IS a good amp (especially compared to the valveking).
Last edited by rlheart at Jan 1, 2010,
Yes, I know my Marshall isn't the best amp out it is only a Mg30. However, it was my first amp and compared to most other amps you would have when you started off it is deffinitely better.

I am looking for an upgrade though, thats why I posted this, not for people to tell me my first amp is a shit amp because usually everyones first amp isnt the best thing out is it? Unless your a spoiled brat with parents that buy you anything you like.

Thanks though
Neither. If you want a JCM 2000, get a DSL.

If you have to choose between the two, though, the TSL will rape that Valveking (unless you do a pile of mods to it).

Edit:
Quote by rlheart
Vtm's are single channel. TSL and valveking have 3 and 2 channels respectively.

The VTM is going to be the least versatile of them all.

Besides that, if you're going to go for a VTM why not go for a 5150/6505 (or 5150 II/6505+)? (I heard that they were based off the VTM, and they are infinitely easier to find)

There's nothing wrong with single channel. Why else would they still make amplifiers like that?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jan 3, 2010,
Like the other guys said. You'd want a DSL JCM2000.

Enough gain for metal, sounds killer, good cleans.

The TSL has less balls than the DSL, because Marshall ****ed up there. It sounds thinner. You want balls and DSL has more balls More crunch too.

If your getting a peavey the 5150 is the best you can get. Its the best non marshall like sound i've heard for distortion. Think Machine Head.

get a DSL50 with a cab.

The DSL401 aparently doesnt sound as good as the DSL50.
^ That's because the DSL401 uses EL-84s and not EL34s. Different tonal properties.

Not worse, just different, but I think people have a certain expectation and when it isn't met they deem the amplifier to be "worse".
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ That's because the DSL401 uses EL-84s and not EL34s. Different tonal properties.

Didn't know that hmm. The stuff you learn on UG
the TSL is a smoking heap of turd

look on ebay, there are always TSL's there and there are 2 very good reasons

1. They have heaps of reliabilty issues, problems with dodgy wiring and melting parts. The TSL is a ticking time bomb TS dont get suckered in by the Marshall logo

2. They sound rubbish. They lack the Marshall charm and sound

TS im not recommending the ValveKing either as they are a vvery cheap tube amp

Get a Marshall DSL as they are far superior to both the Valveking and TSL
Quote by TheBackHouse
the TSL is a smoking heap of turd

look on ebay, there are always TSL's there and there are 2 very good reasons

1. They have heaps of reliabilty issues, problems with dodgy wiring and melting parts. The TSL is a ticking time bomb TS dont get suckered in by the Marshall logo

2. They sound rubbish. They lack the Marshall charm and sound

TS im not recommending the ValveKing either as they are a vvery cheap tube amp

Get a Marshall DSL as they are far superior to both the Valveking and TSL

Just looked on Ebay. There are more DSLs then TSLs. You said don't get suckered in by the Marshall logo then you suggest a DSL.
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
Quote by LPDave
Just looked on Ebay. There are more DSLs then TSLs. You said don't get suckered in by the Marshall logo then you suggest a DSL.

Not always, im just saying thats my experience as a frequent Ebay'er

and im not really recommending the DSL, i wouldnt buy one in a hurry, but I assumed that TS probably likes the TSL's features or sound somewhat if hes concidering buying it so recommending the TSL's cheaper more versatile little brother seemed logical
Last edited by TheBackHouse at Jan 4, 2010,