I've been looking into a getting a good solid state amp, along with a Maxon OD-808, mainly for a good blues tone, if possible. But I was wondering if an overdrive pedal would mix well with distortion on a solid state for a Metal tone, think older Metallica.
OD pedals are used to push your tubes which are non existent in a solid state. may i ask why you insist on solid state?
= Shit sound.

if you want blues, steer clear of solid state. BB King uses a solid state amp but its insanely expensive and his tone has suffered since he got it.

what's your budget?
Quote by KaneIsRaw13
I've been looking into a getting a good solid state amp, along with a Maxon OD-808, mainly for a good blues tone, if possible. But I was wondering if an overdrive pedal would mix well with distortion on a solid state for a Metal tone, think older Metallica.

Vox Valvetronix hybrid would work well with an overdrive.

If not then a vox AC4TV would be ideal.
It doesn't sound as bad as a lot of people think, I tried a friend's TS-9 through my TBX stack and it didn't just turn to mush the way I expected. A little fatter, a little more saturation I guess but in my case it was pretty redundant seeing as my amp has way more gain on tap than I'll ever need. It's going to vary with every amp though so make sure you try it before parting with your cash.
Hey I use an OD on my Peavey Bandit 112 and it really improves it's tone. Don't let haters get you down OP.
I use an OD-9 on my piece of shit amp and it sounds fine as a clean boost that adds a little bit of breakup in it. Anything mid to high gain turns to crap though.
Quote by loudog93
OD pedals are used to push your tubes which are non existent in a solid state. may i ask why you insist on solid state?

OD Pedals are used to add an extra gain stage and distort your amp using solid state clipping. They don't have to push your tubes harder unless you turn the volume up - but if you want to do that, you can just get a boost. But a lot of the time pushing tubes harder than they're meant to doesn't get the desired effect - for example if I push my AC4TV it starts to turn into an Octave Fuzz!
if you must have a SS amp...I wouldn't get an OD pedal. If you plan on using the amps clean channel, then using the pedal for your crunch, just look into a distortion pedal instead of an OD. Thats my opinion. I've done it before on a SS amp (marshall MG)...and it sounded better than the amps OD channel (which doesn't take much). I've also used a distortion pedal on my Night Train and V18 before too...because sometimes an OD won't quite push those amps deep enough into metal territory (neither is voiced for it though).
The Boss SD-1 works marvels with my ZT Lunchbox. Depends on the amp. Some SS amps react like tubes.

I had a Valvetronix which could take ODs as a boost but it really make shit of a lot of distortion pedals. In fairness that could be because there aren't really any very clean but warm sounding models on the amp, a lot of them distort too quickly, and the Dumble clean model sounds too "solid state".
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
if you must have a SS amp...I wouldn't get an OD pedal. If you plan on using the amps clean channel, then using the pedal for your crunch, just look into a distortion pedal instead of an OD. Thats my opinion. I've done it before on a SS amp (marshall MG)...and it sounded better than the amps OD channel (which doesn't take much). I've also used a distortion pedal on my Night Train and V18 before too...because sometimes an OD won't quite push those amps deep enough into metal territory (neither is voiced for it though).

If you want metal sounds, then I agree. Personally I'm not really looking for them with my OD, so I'm alright. I've tried it and it just doesn't work.
Quote by loudog93

False.
While they CAN be set to function as a boost, this is not their primary function that they are designed for.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by loudog93

Wrong.

Overdrive pedals are designed to recreate the sound of an overdriven tube amp; they're a warm, round, mild distortion. Because they're a soft distortion, they also tend to work well as boosts in front of tube amps, but this isn't their purpose.

OP which solid state amp? There's lots of great solid state amps, there's lots of awful ones, don't listen to anyone who tries to lump them all together. Also, digital modelling amps aren't the same as (analog) solid state amps.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by sfx
Vox Valvetronix hybrid would work well with an overdrive.

If not then a vox AC4TV would be ideal.

I find the AC4TV gets noisy with an OD. My ZT Lunchbox takes pedals very well and doesn't. But I prefer the gain on the AC4TV.
In my ten years of playing, I've never had the pleasure of playing an OD/fuzz/distortion pedal through a tube amp. I've had this Line 6 way too long. Do the pedals increase the volume on tubes as much as they do on SS?
O)))))))))))))))))
Quote by STABxYOU
Wrong.

Overdrive pedals are designed to recreate the sound of an overdriven tube amp; they're a warm, round, mild distortion. Because they're a soft distortion, they also tend to work well as boosts in front of tube amps, but this isn't their purpose.

Thank you, someone who knows what they are talking about!

OD's emulate an overdriven tube amp
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
STABxYOU and Jak Archer know what's up.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6