heyhey happy new year...not sure if i shoulda put this somewhere else but i got a question. I just got my 1st accoustic and for some reason it always gets out of tune, like when im done with it for the day i put it away(leaning up on the wall) but when i go to it the next day its way out of tune i mean 4 or 5 strings just completely off, i know i can just tune it up everyday before i play it but i think its strange that happens(never happend to my electrics in 6 years), so what/why is that happening
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Because your leaning it up against a wall, causes the neck to bow slightly, throws the strings out of tune, then when you pick it up it removes the bow in the neck and your strings are thrown out of tune even more. If your not playing it, it should either be put in its case, hung on the wall by the headstock, or put on a guitar stand. That's if you want to properly take care of it.
i expect ethan hanus is correct, but there's always a chance you have a guitar with crappy tuners, or that the strings aren't strung correctly so they are slipping a bit.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Because your leaning it up against a wall, causes the neck to bow slightly, throws the strings out of tune, then when you pick it up it removes the bow in the neck and your strings are thrown out of tune even more. If your not playing it, it should either be put in its case, hung on the wall by the headstock, or put on a guitar stand. That's if you want to properly take care of it.

thanks, i hope thats all it is my stupidity of leaning it
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by ethan_hanus

This seems to be the most logical explanation. You could be bumping the tuners though too. It's more likely what Ethan Hanus said though.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
If you want to know the easiest way of knowing when your guitar needs tuning!!!
It is easy "if you pick it up to play it ------then it needs tuning"
Tuning every time you pick it up has a dual purpose as it makes sure your guitar is allways in tune & also make you very good at tuning your (& others) guitars ,,gives you a great 'ear' for each string

(if you use one of the clip on tuners it is so simple)
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jan 1, 2010,
I tune my guitar every time I pick it up. Even if its only 8 cents off I'll tune it to be right. I tend to notice it if its a little bit off. Helps always having it in tune too, since you get better pitch and can notice it. Because I always do that I can tune by ear better and everything. Easier to tell when something is out of tune better also... and a lot of people play with things not in tune perfectly...
But in the end, changes of humidity/temperature, strings stretching, bad tuners, all could be reasons. As long as you don't have to tune it again if you have been playing for 30 minutes everything should be fine. Try checking the tuning after you are done playing and tell us how many cents its off.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
MY strings usaully go out of tune for two reasons.

1. String are getting old.
2. Drastic weather changes, I live in Tennessee and weather been crazy this year...Hot, cold , wet , dry. You name it. I try to keep it in a case... it still tends to affect it some what.