What are some things to watch out for to get a better tone? Stuff like finger placement or whatever.

Also, I sometimes practice unplugged because by brother goes to bed early and I like staying up really late. I've noticed that my tone when I play without an amp is worse than when I play clean with an amp. I feel like that would be normal but I'm also not sure if it's even possible to have perfect tone unplugged when you account for fret buzz and all of that (basically, the guitar's imperfections get in the way).
Tone is subjective. Some people like certain sounds and others don't.

You can't really change your tone on an unplugged electric much, but you can make minor differences by either finger picking with flesh or nail or by changing the gauge of your picks or strings.

Tone is 75% rig. 20% guitar. 5% player. (In my opinion)
Wait, okay. I think I meant clarity. Or cleanliness. I'm not sure anymore, but I hope people get what I'm asking.
Yeah Unplugged electrics aren't meant to sound good by themselves(at least not at the level of being plugged in). That's my expereince.
Quote by iforgot120
Wait, okay. I think I meant clarity. Or cleanliness. I'm not sure anymore, but I hope people get what I'm asking.

Maybe you should decide what you want to know before you post a new thread.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.