I searchbarred this and came up with nothing. If there's a set of instructions of how to correctly search please point me in the right direction.

Anyways, I've been looking into purchasing a Gibson Les Paul recently. I came across the Les Paul Studio and the Les Paul Standard. I did a little bit of research on what the differences are of these two guitars and all that most people said was the Les Paul standard has binding, different pickups, and the logo in the headstock is and actual inlay and not a decal as on the Les Paul Studio. So other than those differences is the quality really $1000 different? I've heard mixed things about lower end Gibsons. I would go try out each of these models but both of my local music stores do not stock Gibson guitars and the closest store that actually stocks them is 200 miles away. With so many models of the same guitar and only minor differences (at least as far as I can tell) between them choosing one is a difficult process. Please enlighten me if you have had any experience with these guitars. Thank you all and have a great New Years.
Well a big difference is Wood choice, craftsmanship, etc. A lot of people say you have to shop around to find a good studio. Ive never played a bad standard. And 1 bad studio really. But is it worth the 1,000 dollar difference? Depends on personal preference. Personally, I would shell out the extra if i had the opportunity. Thats me though.
I have a Black 1992 Les Paul Studio, and it outplays any of the Les Paul Standards I've played. So, basically, if you're going for a Studio, go with early 90's to about 1998. Do not get 2000's and above, because that's when they started chambering the bodies.
Last time I checked it was quality. The have higher standards for everything. Wood, electronics, everything. Quality Control is also a lot better. In the end though, your also paying for the Gibson name, which has been going downhill fast last time I checked.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
I own both (Alpine White Studio with an ebony fretboard and a CSB Standard) and they are both great guitars. The differences are mainly cosmetic. Since most Studios have solid finishes, they don't use figured maple tops, though I have seen some spectacular figured maple tops on translucent-finish Studios over the years. Since the binding is applied by hand, it raises the price quite a bit.

You'll be happy with either one. The Standard will hold its value better than the Studio.
With Gibsons you'll have to play them one by one to find one your going to like.

Gibson's are very inconsistent I have played studios that out shined Standards and Customs. I played one faded LP studio that I liked best out of all 20+ Gibsons in one store I tried and it was the least expensive so do not believe what you hear about lower end Gibsons. As far as Gibson is concerned there are now lower end Gibsons! Studios, Standards and Customs as well as some other regular production LPs are made and all built the same, it's usually all cosmetic differences that make them what they are. Tuners and pick ups can be different of course some LPs will have Burstbuckers, 57 Classics, Dirty Fingers or the standard series you see in most Gibsons some will have Grovers or the old style tuners.

When you find a good Gibson LP it's going to be an awesome guitar you'll know it right away then you'll realize how inconsistent they are especially when you play as many as I do.

As far as I know all the Studios, Standards and Customs use the same wood from Gibsons stock. I did the Gibson tour a couple times back when I was heavily into collecting them. I remember the guys giving us the tour said " These are the bodies we use to make the Studios, Standards and Customs." He went on to say "When Gibson makes Limited edition and custom shop guitars they sort thru the stock and pick the premium stuff and pull it but all the regular production Gibby's come from the standard stock piles." The only difference will be in the figured maple caps that you see. Some bodies can be made up of three to five pieces of mahogany. Gibson hides this by using a cap on the back of the guitar as well and it's very hard to see the joints on the edges. Pretty soon all Gibbys will be made up of multiple pieces of wood because of the rarity of the mahogany they choose to use unless they go with the more readily available mahoganies other guitar companies use.

John
Save yourself the hassle of hunting for a good Gibson. You'll be frustrated before you find the right one. If you're really aching for a Les Paul, check out the ESP Eclipse series, Greco Super Real, Tokai Love Rock/Les Paul Reborn, Burny Super Grade, Edwards/ESP LPS series, Bacchus guitars or Heritage guitars.

Those companies are sure to have a Les Paul suited for you within your budget.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.