It all depends on what genera your going for? Do you want British voiced or American voiced.
What do some of your favorite artist use? It's a very broad question you've asked TBH.

As a Mesa fanboy that's what I would recommend. But than again! Are you getting it for Metal, Jazz, Fusion, Funk or Classic rock maybe. These are important questions that we need answers to.

EDIT: And you can't answer the questions we cannot help you. And technically this is a VS thread. They are not allowed. This thread will probably be closed.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Last edited by boxcarmonument at Jan 1, 2010,
get a mesa mark iii. better than both. though if between the two, definetly the jcm as long as it's an slx. if you play thrash and want a tighter tone, the jcm. if you play nu metal, the recto. metalcore, or death metal, a 5150.
If you are planning to play more rythm stuff with more bass frequencies, take the Recto.
If you want to play more lead stuff with treblier sounds, take the JCM.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
You can't go wrong with either of those amplifiers. It depends on which tone you are looking for.
As far as a straight up comparison, it's kind of hard as there are many models of JCM 900s (4100, 4500, SL-X) and Rectifiers (Single, Dual, Triple, Tremoverb etc... ). Generally, the Marshall is going to be more heavy on the high mids, tighter bass and smoother sounding gain. So basically, this amp is going to sound a bit more 'rock' for lack of a better word. These amps sound more like the Scorpions, that kind of compressed and hot-rodded sounding Marshall tone. Great sound for rock, and for metal you'll need a boost. A boosted Marshall is going to get you into Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer thrash kind of tones. They have nice chug and cut through but some don't like this sound for metal. Some prefer a more modern sound like out of Boogies/ENGL amps/ Framus.

As for the Boogie, they have tones of bass at your disposal. This amp sounds much more aggressive. You get a thick wall of sound kind of thing going. These amps can be on the shrill side of things if you dial in too much presence/treble and can sound hollow if you start taking out too much mid frequencies. I also find that these amps need to be turned up loud to get rid of the flubby low end (or boost the amp). Lots of features at your disposal, effects loops, tube rectification etc... You get more versatility out of the Boogie, but I find with the few Duals I've played, I generally stick to one mode. I really like the Vintage mode.

You'd probably get the most out of your money from the Boogie, but that still doesn't mean it's the best amp for you. They're both different amps with different voicings and I suggest you try them both before purchasing.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.