How do you get sound like something likethis ?

Do you have to add a bit of overdrive or anything? Any tips?
it`s just a cranked tube amp, chuck berry used no effects for Johnny B goode.

on a SS amp try having the gain below 2
A semi hololow guitar and any device you can muster to dampen the strings and eliminate sustain of any kind. I have seen felt saddles and bits of tissue to deaden the strings. Cranking a 50s Gibson amp is an idea too.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

He didn't use any effects? It sounded more like it with a bit of overdrive with my power amp.
It has been a long time since I heard that song, ah.....so inspirational to hear again though.
Quote by ph213x
He didn't use any effects? It sounded more like it with a bit of overdrive with my power amp.

No, it was just a low-power tube amp cranked up.
Quote by ph213x

It was 1958. The only effects were cranking the volume and playing with a torn speaker. Effect showed up in 1962.
Hollow body guitar, low gain, and a little reverb and then mad skill
Strat Copy
Epi Les Paul Black Beauty
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

AB>Crybaby Standard>TU-3>DS-1>DS-2>ML-2>ZW-44>B.O.R.

EHX LPB-1>Phase 90>Milkshake Chorus

"Keep on rockin' in the free world"
Turn an amp up so loud your mommy threatens to ground you and make sure you put extra force in the pick attack.
It might be a little hard to get that sound out of just any old solid state amp, but you can get close. Use really low gain or put it on the clean channel and use an overdrive pedal. Make sure you pick really hard too.
Thick strings and picks help, Chuck used a guitar with humbuckers, but i get a good Chuck-esque sound out of the bridge pickup on my Strat. Basically anything vintage-toned, with tubes, and turned up will do it.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.