So, I'm in the market for a new amp. I currently have an Orange Crush 30R. Which turned out to be a downgrade from the amp I had before I moved to New Zealand.

- My budget is about $2500 NZ.
- I would prefer to get an head/cab setup, but a combo won't break the deal.
- Something between 15-50 watts is preferable. Something to be able to play clean over a drummer, and smaller venues. I don't need 100 watts, as my stadium tour hasn't come to pass yet.
- I would like it to take pedals well, as I tend to go a bit effects crazy.
- 2 channels. Can be more, but I don't need more, really. With footswitch.
- Effects loop
- I play a lot of clean stuff like jazz and blues. The heaviest stuff I play is Tool-like. So, something with a good low end would be nice.

Any suggestions of what I should be looking out would be great. Also, suggestions for cabs would be great too! I should also mention that since I'm in NZ some brands may be hard to come by.

Thanks.
Last edited by Melodic_Rocker at Jan 1, 2010,
I don't know what these would cost in NZ, but for that money, look at the Blackstar HT-5 and the Marshall DSL 50-watt. If you are looking for 50 watts or less, you would probably be better off with a 2x12 combo. Peavey's 6505 combo would be a good choice, or one of the Marshall combos.
Quote by FatalGear41
I don't know what these would cost in NZ, but for that money, look at the Blackstar HT-5 and the Marshall DSL 50-watt. If you are looking for 50 watts or less, you would probably be better off with a 2x12 combo. Peavey's 6505 combo would be a good choice, or one of the Marshall combos.

Thanks. I like HT-5, but when I'm buying amp is something I want to keep for a while, not just a stand in for a few months. The HT-5 head is $700 NZ, and I have quite a bit more than that in budget, plus it's not quite loud enough for going over a drummer. I'll have more of a look at the DSL 50 watt head. Seems to be what I'm looking for, although I've heard the OD can be muddy. Cheers.
Quote by Melodic_Rocker
Thanks. I like HT-5, but when I'm buying amp is something I want to keep for a while, not just a stand in for a few months. The HT-5 head is $700 NZ, and I have quite a bit more than that in budget, plus it's not quite loud enough for going over a drummer. I'll have more of a look at the DSL 50 watt head. Seems to be what I'm looking for, although I've heard the OD can be muddy. Cheers.

I agree about the HT-5. They're fine amps and people do love them, but if you are going to gig (and that's what we all seek to do, right?) then you simply need more power. The DSL is a fine amp, despite the anti-Marshall bias you'll encounter around here. It isn't muddy as long as you adjust the EQ properly.

There are other fine amps out there, but living in NZ is going to limit your choices if for no other reason than shipping anything there costs a fortune. The Peavey 6505 series are fine amps with great tone, great build quality and all of the gain you could ever want. The 6505+ has better clean tone (IMHO), but I don't know if they are available out there. AT any rate, a Marshall DSL will serve you well for just about anything you could ever want to play. I've seen local Jazz players using Marshall combos and they love them, so yes, a Marshall can do great clan tones as well as crunch and lead.
I'll have a look at the 6505+ combo as well, although it may be hard to find here. I was also looking at Framus amps. They seem to be a bit more expensive, but I don't mind spending a bit more if it's worth it. What do you guys think of them?
Last edited by Melodic_Rocker at Jan 1, 2010,