hi,

i want to record metal. kinda slayer/entombed/thrash/death type of mixture.

my way would be to find my "final cd sound" on my amp and then to add or remove something that is needed to achieve the same sound after the mic. but what should i change or add to achieve it?? i know that less distortion lets to avoid the mud. and more mids helps to cut through. after my sound searching i found that i use mids more then anyone in this world. mids give me that breaking glass shimmer and growling all over the guitar. i use ge7 and cs3 before my amp to dial the distortion character. and all other effects apply after the mics, on the mixer.

and how to dial my amp so i could have as many options/helpers as possible to get/return to my cd sound AFTER the mics????????

thank u.
Last edited by mariusmaklaudas at Jan 4, 2010,
well it depends on your amp and the guitar, try to get a good tone, any tone is recordable... don't mind on the mics or anything, of course if you're recording with a crappy mic, you're going to have problems, you can record almost anything with a Shure sm57, now if you wanna be sure about it you can try a Sennheiser e609 or e906 ... you can't be wrong with those...
so you're asking should you be aiming for the guitar to sound FINISHED without having to process it during mixing? Well it's a very good habit to get into. To have a guitar tone that slots into your mix PERFECTLY without the need for eq is fantastic and there's no replacement for an amazing raw tone. No amount of eq to FIX things will make a guitar sound as good as a perfect raw one.

But yeah, after the tone has been recorded it's generally best to do some MINOR corrective eq. Mixing is a very complex process where everything needs to slot togeter like a jigsaw puzzle, dont force the pieces together, and the guitars take up the same frequency space in a mix as the vocals do. So you may want to cut a little bit of the core mids (around 1khz) and you may want to cut a little low mids because guitars get very cloudy and messy down there (cut 200hz, that or multiband compressors on 200hz sound good.) I also tend to cut a little at 2khz and a little at 500hz as well. But less is more and you just need to listen and think "does this NEED any eq or do i just feel compelled to use EQ just because i feel like i should?"

And then after mixing there's MASTERING. Good mastering glues everything together a little bit more with subtle compression and enhances the mix with some mild eq. but mastering is a whole other area that's probably best left until you have a better handle on mixing. But just keep in mind that when you reference CD, it's been mixed AND mastered.

edit: also be fairly vicious with your mids. Don't use too much, that is. Mids help you cut through a mix and have clarity, but never dial in more than you need. It may seem like more mids = more clarity, but it tends to be that more mids means LESS clarity. What I find is best to do is to turn down the mids until you start to lose clarity and then put the mid knob at the last point where the tone was nice and audible and dont add ANY more than that.

Also ditch the EQ in your chain. Maybe use a noise gate but that's it. And don't allow it to compensate for sloppy playing. Aim to not even NEED a noise gate. Aim to play so tight that your stops sound totally dead, as if you were using one, then add the gate just to clean up the amp hiss.

The mic on your cab is the most potent EQ tool you have at your disposal, dial in a tone that sounds nice, then move the mic around until your tone just sits in your mix, you don't need the eq pedal and is only gonna make things overly complicated. guitar -> amp -> mic. DONE.
Last edited by Dream Pin at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by Dream Pin
Also ditch the EQ in your chain. Maybe use a noise gate but that's it. And don't allow it to compensate for sloppy playing. Aim to not even NEED a noise gate. Aim to play so tight that your stops sound totally dead, as if you were using one, then add the gate just to clean up the amp hiss.

Noise gates make the baby Jesus cry

Or at least they encourage sloppy playing on recordings & kill sustain - I prefer to manually cut hiss out in post - it takes longer but I trust my ears more than I trust a machine.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Good post Dream Pin, you have somewhat educated me further
“English is the language this article is written in.”
~Captain Obvious On English