please give me hexatonic scale formula !! Wkwkwkwkw....
Any scale with 8 notes in it before hitting the octave of the Root are concidered hexatonic scales.

The Diminished scales (W-H Tone and H-W Tone scales) are hexatonic scale. They are the most common, although there are others like some of the Bebop scales. as well as super-imposed types scales that combine two scales into one.
Quote by MikeDodge
Any scale with 8 notes in it before hitting the octave of the Root are concidered hexatonic scales.

The Diminished scales (W-H Tone and H-W Tone scales) are hexatonic scale. They are the most common, although there are others like some of the Bebop scales. as well as super-imposed types scales that combine two scales into one.

Dude, hex = 6. 8 would probably be octatonic I guess.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
Dude, hex = 6. 8 would probably be octatonic I guess.

Yup.

Make a scale that only has 6 notes. There you go!

The main one would be the Whole-tone which, as luck would hvae it, is made up of 6 whole tones. So... WWWWWW.
Mike, those are octatonic.

Hexatonic are the whole tone (1 2 3 ♯4 ♭6 ♭7), the blues (1 ♭3, 4 ♭5 ♮5, ♭7) the augmented (1 ♯2 3 5 ♭6 7), and a bunch of less common ones. With hexatonic scales enharmonic spellings are used pretty freely, as things get messy awfully quick otherwise when building chords.
I guess I was still sleeping, oops.

Yep, any scale with 6 notes before hitting the next octave, like the Whole Tone scale and the Blues scale.

If you ever have a question about Octatonic scales, refer to the thread about hexatonic scales
A common Hexatonic scale Ive come across is the natural minor without the 6th, or 1-2-b3-4-5-b7.

But it's usually veiwed as the minor pentatonic with an added 2nd.

And as everyone has said, a hexatonic is any scale with 6 notes in it.
a lot have been named already, all i can still think of is a raag calles jog, its similar to a mixolydian #9 scale without the 6th, but you could look at it as a minor pentatonic scale with an added 3rd so 1 #2 3 4 5 b7 or 1 b3 3 4 5 b7
this is using it as a scale, playing the actual raag the notes and their importance differs between ascending and descending but also by time of day etc. so who cares, sounds good as a scale
Last edited by Funkicker at Jan 1, 2010,