Does anyone have any good websites or lumber sources in the UK - particularly around Gloucestershire?

At the moment, I'm only really aware of Tonetech, David Dyke, and whatever pops up on eBay. People from the UK keep saying about better places to get wood, but I'm really stumped (.

Edit: And Craft Supplies.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jan 1, 2010,
you could try a wood merchant but they will probably be expensive, but they would have quality wood
Lumber sources?

This may sound stupid, but go to a lumber yard? They do have high quality woods that can you can buy and get good advice on, they'll even cut a shape for you providing it's not too difficult.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
Lumber sources?

This may sound stupid, but go to a lumber yard? They do have high quality woods that can you can buy and get good advice on, they'll even cut a shape for you providing it's not too difficult.

I was rather hoping that people might suggest lumber yards that they use, or have used.

Edit: This isn't an "OMG WER DO A GET WUD FROM?" thread. It's more a case of "Where do you buy your wood in the UK?".

I know that I need a lumber yard, so I'm asking if anyone knows any good ones.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jan 1, 2010,
I dont know of a lumber yard in my area (which is no where near your area) that sells guitar wood, its all construction wood, pine etc.

Ebay is good, theres is normally alot of mahogany timber etc on there, just make sure you ask what the condition of the wood is (e.g. dry, details of any knots and cracks etc) because sellers generally just give the dimensions and a few crap pics.

Also the UK builders forum is sometimes a good source, the guy who runs it Simo, often has guitar specific wood for good prices in the selling area (although none recently I'm sure it will pick up again).

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=25.0

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by -MintSauce-
Does anyone have any good websites or lumber sources in the UK - particularly around Gloucestershire?

At the moment, I'm only really aware of Tonetech, David Dyke, and whatever pops up on eBay. People from the UK keep saying about better places to get wood, but I'm really stumped (.

Edit: And Craft Supplies.

http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/Woods_List/index.asp

These guys are pretty good. Not too far from me, so if I am going there I can get stuff for you, or I should think they would be happy to post.

All of their timber (you should assume) is "rough" 2SE means two square edges.

If you want me to explain pricing I can, but these guys seem to be one of the best in the country.

Hopefully that link will show you the woods list, then browse by name and click on whatever you want to look at.

They are used to dealing with luthiers, so are quite happy to answer your questions, most people go there and pick what they want, but as I said, I feel sure they are happy to select for you and post.

He does NOT do quilted maple or flame maple, David Dyke is best for that but you will pay through the nose. He sometimes has flamed sycamore (which is same Genus as maple).

I am still up for getting stuff from Canada Finewoods on ebay of you are. He does deals on a number of matched tops etc sometimes so...worth looking at.

Pricing is by the Ft3 (cubic foot).

There are 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot.

Look at Birdseye Maple

3 qualities (of birdseye) 3 prices

2SE from 4 inches wide by 2m long (78 inches. 28mm thick

So for a 4 inch wide 2m long bit 28mm thick, work on a cross section of 1x4 inches so thats 4 inches inches square, now times 4 by 78 inches )of length) gives you 312 cubic inches

So, best quality birdseye is £195 (for smaller quantities) per cubic foot.

195 divided by 1728 = 0.11285 ish "pounds per cubic inch"

times that by 312, gives you £35.20 ish for that size board in best quality. plus VAT.

So to find the price, work out the size of board in cubic inches.

Divide the price by 1728 and mutiply the answer by the number of cubic inches in your board size.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I found out about the places that sell hardwood in my area by going to any shop with wood in the window and asking if they sold hardwood (specificaly maple, ash and mahogany). Each place gave me a another shop to look at untill I found a place that actually did.

After a few weeks of asking I bumped into a carpinter at the pub who told me exactly where to go (in a usefull way ) so if you know a carpinter I'd ask them.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-