My amp has 2 inputs-high and low. I've always used the low just because I thought it might give me better cleans. what exactly is the purpose of these two inputs? and which one should be used for better cleans or distortion. I read somewhere that the type of pickup you have should dictate which input you use....so could someone enlighten me on this subject? thanks
It takes away a part of your input signal. For example, active pickups tend to break up a lot earlier because of the higher output, they don't if you use the "low" input.

You can say :

passive pickup = high
active pickup = low

This is not for every pickup though, but it works for most of them.
The low input is attenuated. You don't get as much drive, but some feel the lower input on an amp is where all the mojo is. I had an old vertical input JCM 800 and I loved cranking that thing on the low input.

The high input isn't attenuated so it sounds 'hotter'.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by DarkValo666
It takes away a part of your input signal. For example, active pickups tend to break up a lot earlier because of the higher output, they don't if you use the "low" input.

You can say :

passive pickup = high
active pickup = low

This is not for every pickup though, but it works for most of them.

My pickup is a dimarzio paf dp103, which is a very basic paf style. i use a peavey windsor, run slightly dirty so i can still roll back the volume for a decent clean and i can push it with an od pedal. with this lower powered pickup, would the low gain input still give me better cleans?
High Gain Inputs are meant for lower output pickups and Low Gain Inputs are mean't for higher output pickups, pretty much so they can get a similar sound.

That said, a lot of players with actives go for the higher gain input to add extra OD

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I have a question.
My VK is too loud for bedroom practice. (Love it when playing with my band).
So if I would plug my guitar into a low input jack would I be able to play quieter without getting that really shitty sound (with no power whatsoever) that tube amps give when played on like 0.5 or 1?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
I have a question.
My VK is too loud for bedroom practice. (Love it when playing with my band).
So if I would plug my guitar into a low input jack would I be able to play quieter without getting that really shitty sound (with no power whatsoever) that tube amps give when played on like 0.5 or 1?

Not really. The quality of sound doesn't matter for me so much when I'm at home plinking around anyways. If it really bugs you, you should invest in a practice amp or an attenuator.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not really. The quality of sound doesn't matter for me so much when I'm at home plinking around anyways. If it really bugs you, you should invest in a practice amp or an attenuator.

I've got a practice amp but no footswitch really sucks.
I was told it's not worth to spend 300 bucks on a 500$ amp.
It doesnt matter for me that much neither. But I wanted to record something and it kinda sounded better with my practice amp. Pretty sad I guess.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
the low input for the VK and most peavey amps offers a 6db reduction to the signal entering the front of the amp.

with high and some medium output pickups in the low gain (actives and passives) this means that you aren`t pushing the front of the amp so hard so you get less early break-up of the pre-amp tubes and can achieve a more creamy sound. also offers better cleans

with low and some medium output pickups in the high gain input you are able to push the front of the amp harder yet still achieve the effect as a high gain pup.

@ kozlic:- which VK (100watt or 50watt) are you using, if it`s the 100 (head or 212 use the texture control more to class A in the bedroom, switch to low gain input .
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by Kozlic
I've got a practice amp but no footswitch really sucks.
I was told it's not worth to spend 300 bucks on a 500$ amp.
It doesnt matter for me that much neither. But I wanted to record something and it kinda sounded better with my practice amp. Pretty sad I guess.

Yeah but you can keep the attenuator if you sell the VK so you aren't really spending 300 bucks on a 500 dollar amp. You're spending 300 bucks on any future amp to come. They're also handy to have if the venues you play at don't let you crank it up.

Plus, if that 500 dollar amp sounds good, why not spend money on it?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah but you can keep the attenuator if you sell the VK so you aren't really spending 300 bucks on a 500 dollar amp. You're spending 300 bucks on any future amp to come. They're also handy to have if the venues you play at don't let you crank it up.

Plus, if that 500 dollar amp sounds good, why not spend money on it?

Dude...you made me think! Good point!
It's true what people say about you

could you possibly suggest an attenuator for my VK?
I heard good things about the hotplate (or w/e) but I saw that there are several of them...it has something to do with ohms right?
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Last edited by Kozlic at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by Kozlic
Dude...you made me think! Good point!
It's true what people say about you

Well thanks man! I'm glad I could help out.

You need to give the VK a little volume anyways. I like to crank the one we have at my school and let everybody hear me fail massively.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well thanks man! I'm glad I could help out.

You need to give the VK a little volume anyways. I like to crank the one we have at my school and let everybody hear me fail massively.

Loud is good...but only for me
At our last gig I had to keep it at 1.5-2 cause otherwise it would've been too loud on the PA :S
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
I just got a VK 212 and never had a tube amp before, you guys have answered some of my questions so thank you.

What about that omhs switch on the back: 4, 8, 16 I think it is. What is this for? That and that texture knob, so A is less hot while AB is gonna be louder or handle more gain? I also have a BKP Miracle Man in one guitar and a Sinner in the other, these are high out put passive pups so the first input is what I am wanting correct?
In the Valley of Vung
The ohms switch is for an external cab.

The texture knob controls the phase inverter - at 'A' it's half and at 'AB' it's going full on. With the Valveking, use the second input with a dummy jack in the first input. Better sound that way.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Just to clarify majority of amps the hi gain input is the reg main input.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
Just to clarify majority of amps the hi gain input is the reg main input.
And the low input reduces the signal by 3-6 dbs. Also, connecting a jack into both inputs at the same time typically results in both inputs reverting to low gain.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Mr. Parker
I just got a VK 212 and never had a tube amp before, you guys have answered some of my questions so thank you.

What about that omhs switch on the back: 4, 8, 16 I think it is. What is this for? That and that texture knob, so A is less hot while AB is gonna be louder or handle more gain? I also have a BKP Miracle Man in one guitar and a Sinner in the other, these are high out put passive pups so the first input is what I am wanting correct?

the ohms selector is to set the impedance of the speakers and amp

112=16ohm
212=8ohm
412=4ohm

when using the stock VK 16 ohm speakers

the texture control when rotated from AB to A lets 1/2 the power tubes draw idle current therefore reducing power output by a claimed 60% therefore, theoretically the 100H and 212 combo become a 40Watt class A amp (wattage does not mean volume)
Quote by Van Noord
And the low input reduces the signal by 3-6 dbs. Also, connecting a jack into both inputs at the same time typically results in both inputs reverting to low gain.

I did read that about the jacks.

Thanks guys, very helpful, very very helpful.
In the Valley of Vung