Hey thar
I'm a self taught guitarist and I was wondering if there was anything essential to learn or practise with my guitar. I want to know because I dont want to miss out on anything that a guitarist that had a teacher knows.
Also are there any songs that I could learn to improve my guitar skills?
Last edited by Crock-knock at Jan 1, 2010,
well:
What genres do you play?
How long have you been playing?

there aren't really any essential techniques that everyone has to know on the guitar, it all depends on what you want to play to be completely honest
a song i found very useful for improving was technical difficulties by racerx/paul gilbert, just working on the intro alone is excellent for alternate picking technique
For song suggestions it would be the best to tell a little about your current level with guitar.

And for things that teacher knows; I'm really self taught too but things that really have made my playing better are: Relaxation at all times and at all speeds, no shoulder tension or any other unnecessary tension anywhere while playing. And keeping fingers as close as possible to fretboard.
For both of those starting slow and gradually building speed is the key, so buy a metronome.

Remember to study theory, train your ear and learn to sight read (Many people could disagree with it's importance but I hold it high on the list.)

Cant think of anything else right now, I hope this helps.
Quote by richymisiak
well:
What genres do you play?

there aren't really any essential techniques that everyone has to know on the guitar, it all depends on what you want to play to be completely honest
a song i found very useful for improving was technical difficulties by racerx/paul gilbert, just working on the intro alone is excellent for alternate picking technique

I've been playing for 2-3 months and i think im quite experienced
I can play chords clean, alt pick, I know a few scales i am getting to know the circle of 5th's, I know the fretboard and most of its notes, hammer ons pull offs harmonics etc
Im self taught so im worried that ive missed something important

I play rock mostly but im kinda being pulled to jazz because it interests me
Quote by richymisiak
well:
What genres do you play?

Yes Paul Gillbert/racer x is good for if you wanna hear some clean, fast playing with alternate picking, or hammer ons and pull offs cleanly too
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
Quote by Crock-knock

Also are there any songs that I could learn to improve my guitar skills?

Just learn a song that you really like
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
I can improvise but I have a very small repertoire – C blues scale and D minor. I’ve been stuck in a rut for years and I’d like to break through so I can play well enough to form a band.
I’ve been practising triad progressions through the cycle of fifths. What can I do next?