I was just wondering if smoking can cause any damage to guitars, amps, pedals etc. I've seen on a lot of craigslist ads people saying "amp is in great condition and kept in a smoke free environment". Me and my sister both smoke and I was just wondering if I was causing severe damage to my gear. Does anybody have any evidence to back this up?
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
Not really ... but it can be if you use your guitars and amps as an ashtray or put out cigarettes ( or J ) on them !!!

Trust me I smoke up a lot ....really a LOT !!! Like all day ...I dont have any issues till now , been almost 3 and a 1/2 years !
But yeah , the ash ( dust ) may cause damage especially if it gets inside important components .
Last edited by sigma005 at Jan 1, 2010,
I don't think it'll damage it,but make it smell and possibly discolor some of it yeah
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
it can stain wood and makes everything smell like sh*t.

Anything that has a fan in it (like some newer amps and PAs and stuff) for cooling can get all gummy from the particles in the smoke.
I can actually deteriorate the exterior of the amplifier at a faster rate. Don't know why. it also happens in cars for some reason. It shoudn't effect the sound though. Also, I don't THINK it will damage the guitar at all
Other than staining there would be no physical damage however, as a non-smoker i'd not wan't to bring something that wreaks of cigarette smoke into my house.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
i think that, when it comes to selling, they want to let non-smokers know that they won't gag at the smell of the equipment...
just look at anything (not just guitar equipment) that is sold used online....
usually they put: "...kept in an animal-free enviroment....and smoke-free enviroment..."
they don't want to make people who 1)don't like smoking and 2)are allergic to animals feel uncomfortable buying their used product.
like, for me, i don't smoke so i don't want a amp that smells like smoke....
In theory smoke can damage electronics—some manufacturers are now using this as an excuse to cut smokers off of warranty support. But the stuff in a guitar is much too simple for it to be an issue (Keith Richard’s guitars seem to survive just fine). It’s probably only worth worrying about in modeling amps or studio equipment that needs to survive a long time.

That said, you’re dramatically limiting the resale value of your stuff by smoking. Nobody who doesn’t smoke wants to own stinky discolored guitars.
Smoking won't damage any decently made gear.

The reasons ads mention that gear hasn't been around smoke is that some people don't like to buy guitars and amps that smell like an ash tray. Of course, since many venues are smoking (depending on where you're at) any gear that actually gets used will end up smelling that way eventually.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I'd think smoking probably effects a guitar with a nitrocellulose finish as opposed to a poly finish.

There's a smoker in my family, and I've never noticed any damages on my stuff from that.
Indeed, if you have a guitar with a nitro finish, don't smoke anywhere near it unelss you want yellow and brown stains all over it. Poly finishes will get effected to but not to quite the same degree. It certainly won't help them stay sparkling pristine though.
In terms of amps, pedals and so on, it depends what kind of exposure we're talking about here. If you started a bonfire behind them, got a big vacuum and funneled all the smoke directly into your amp, yes, it is going to bugger it up. If you light up every once in a while five feet from your amp, it's not going to damage it. Obviously if you decide to start using your amp as an ashtray then it's going to get stained and you're creating a huge fire hazard, but if you're stupid enough to do that then you deserve to die in a blazing inferno anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you have ever opened up a computer case from inside a smoker's house then you know how bad smoke is for electronics. Might even make you want to quit smoking.
Well it is a medical fact that smoking causes irrepairable damage to the most important piece of gear you own YOU

when we are dead who cares if our smoking caused damage to our equiptment.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
Well it is a medical fact that smoking causes irrepairable damage to the most important piece of gear you own YOU

when we are dead who cares if our smoking caused damage to our equiptment.

Hey mom, I didn't know you had a UG account!

Let people do what they wish...I personally don't smoke, but bashing one for a personal preference -- one which doesn't effect you in the slightest -- doesn't make you much better.

I could imagine, after some time, the smell of smoke will stick to the amp, making it harder to sell (or causing you to need to air it out for some time before selling it.) I could see it degrading finishes possibly too. Although I couldn't say it's definite, it's unlikely it will degrade the way your guitar plays and sounds, and the way your amp sounds.
Quote by AlanHB
As for the guitarist being a wanker - he's a guitarist. Get used to it.
Of course it does it damages everything including you! Studios ban smoking altogether because it can harm/damage sensitive equipment.

Luckily with smoking banned in most clubs around here there is not much worry about damage but in the old days when I gigged heavily smoke did take it's toll. It can do some damage on Nitro finishes, it can also help age things faster like tolex, metal parts on guitars, strings especially, older paper speaker cones get real brittle etc. Have you ever been in someone house who smokes like a chimney you'll see faded nicotine stained walls, curtains, shades, wood work etc. Nicotine is very very destructive. I never smoked but playing in clubs that were filled with smoke eventually gave me bronchitis. I use to have to wash my clothing 2 or 3 times after a gig just to get the smell out. 40–60 mg (0.5-1.0 mg/kg) of nicotine can be a lethal dosage for adult humans. If that doesn't tell you something nothing will.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Jan 1, 2010,
Have you seen computers that have come from smokers?? Ick. I imagine with guitars it would be even worse, last thing you want is gooey tar stuff all over the inside of your pickups. :/
I would rather be flawed and wise, than perfect and blind.
Quote by j37h307
I was just wondering if smoking can cause any damage to guitars, amps, pedals etc. I've seen on a lot of craigslist ads people saying "amp is in great condition and kept in a smoke free environment". Me and my sister both smoke and I was just wondering if I was causing severe damage to my gear. Does anybody have any evidence to back this up?

only aesthetically - your guitar can't get lung cancer because it doesn't have lungs. and nor does your amp.

But cigarette smoke tends to leave yellowish-brown stains on everything it touches regularly, guitars and amplifiers included.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
If your very heavy smokers Nicotine and other chemicals can get into pickups, switches and pots causing them to fail! It can even coat the metal jacks and cord ends adding resistance.

John
As a rather heavy smoker of marijuana, i can say that all i've noticed is that whites yellow faster, and maple gets darker, and if you stick a spliff under your strings it may cause burning of the headstock.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.