Okay my guitar teacher says he uses the side of the pick for playing faster stuff, do most people etc. vai,gilbert,satriani and them do this? I'm just curious is it cheating and can people still play fast and well with just the tip of it?
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
Its all about personal preference. Hold the pick however you feel comfortable playing with it. Holding a pick one way doesnt nec. make playing something easier.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
There are no "right" ways to do things, just some methods are more advisable technique-wise. If it works for you without compromising other areas of your playing then do it.
Hmm. I can't really picture how one could get a decent pick out of using the side. The notes would probably sound very weak but....

Not sure if people do that or not. I imagine not but i can't say for sure.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Paul Gilbert does that sort of stuff. You can check his video on youtube suggesting to do so. I hold the pick at a slightly bent angle and don't face any problems. And as for someone saying notes get weak. Nothing of that sort happens. It does help. But then it is your preference. I think Michael Romeo holds it pretty parallel to the strings. Your preference. No harm in either way provided you practice it correctly.
Angling the pick generally helps it glide over the strings easier and it gives a different sound to it. But it's all personal preference. Whatever feels good and sounds good.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I use the side of my pick for pinch harmonics but it's up to you how you hold it
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
who cares
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Erm... i really meant like side as in... the different tip... the rounded tip part! sorry guess side meant something else
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
Quote by NecroticSoldier
Erm... i really meant like side as in... the different tip... the rounded tip part! sorry guess side meant something else

Your teacher plays fast using the rounded side?

Doesn't make sense, won't it be significantly harder to achieve fast articulated notes with the rounded side
For pinch harmonics (the ones that worked, i have still not gottem!!! ggrrr)i use my pick flat on but for all else i angle it.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
In terms of economic playing, it makes very little sense to use the more rounded side of the pick to play fast runs. You're better off with a sharper point, at a slight angle when you pick through the strings. Of course, if you're going for a particularly mellow tone and soft attack, then you might have to mix things up a bit!