Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to get a Peavey 5150 head soon. Or maybe a 6505. I see different models of both of these, and i was wondering if someone could point out the differences between the models. Only the heads please, I'm not looking to buy a combo.

Also, I was wondering what would be a good cab to go with the head. Should i get the stock speakers in it, or what other speakers would be acceptable? I play lots of heavy metal, stuff like Bullet for my valentine and Lamb of God. Chimaira and that stuff too.

Third question, sorry bout all of these, but what type of pedals would be good. I'm looking into a delay pedal, maybe the carbon copy, or the Boss delay pedal. Any other pedals that would be helpful? Please don't suggest anything hugely expensive.
EVH 5150 III HD Guitar Amp Head Specifications:

* COVERING: Textured vinyl covering (black or ivory), EVH® striped metal grille
* WEIGHT: 55 lbs. (25 kg)
* DIMENSIONS:
* Height 10.25" (26 cm)
* Width: 29.75" (75.5 cm)
* Depth: 11.5" (29.3 cm)
* OUTPUT: 100 watts RMS
* TUBES: Four 6L6 output tubes, eight 12AX7 preamp tubes
* SHIPPING WEIGHT: 60 lbs. (27.2 kg) including packaging
* INTRODUCED: July 1, 2007
* FOOTSWITCH: Four-button footswitch included (P/N 007-0926-000)

Peavey 6505 Plus 120W Guitar Amp Head Features:

* 120W
* Preamp: 6 - 12AX7s
* Power amp: 4 - 6L6s
* Footswitchable lead/rhythm channels
* Effects loop
* 3-band EQ
* Resonance control
* Presence control
* 4, 8, or 16 ohms

"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
I have a peavey 5150 combo and its loud as shit so i suggest a noise suppressor. Id say that amp is about as good of a metal amp u can get without paying an insane amount of money.
Metal? Jazz? Metal AND Jazz
Jackson DXMG
Jackson JS30RR
Peavey 5150 Combo 2x12(Loudest 2x12 ever)
Boss Noise Suppressor
CFH Wah
Jackson Demmelition King V(I wish)
Peavey 5150 I = Peavey 6505
Peavey 5150 II = Peavey 6505+

The 5150 III is a completely different amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
5150/6505 = More gain, lower mid focused, 1 eq for both channels

5150II/6505+ = slightly less gain (although still tons), slightly higher mid focused, an eq for each channel

chimaira uses 6505 and bullet uses 6505+ (one of the guitarists does anyway).

the peavey cabs are fine but if you want something a little better try pairing the head with a mesa cab. If you get the 6505 most people would suggest a mesa traditional and if you get a 6505+ most people suggest a mesa standard cab (this combination is what matt uses in bullet).

hope this helps some.
Thanks for the help guys. So is there much tonality difference between 5150 and 6505, or is it just a name thing?
no dude 5150II/6505+ have more gain.

5150s have more attack
5150 II's don't

best cab for a 5150 is a either an engl pro, marshall with v30s, mesa 4x12, Orange etc, anything with v30s is perfect for that amp IF you do get the mesa make sure it is a mesa 4x12 OS (standard) NOT TRADITIONAL

you will need an OD pedal like the maxon808,tsxx,sd-1,etc

and a noise gate
listen to the clips on my page if you wana hear what the 5150 sounds like
Last edited by CatharsisStudio at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by CatharsisStudio
no dude 5150II/6505+ have more gain.

5150s have more attack
5150 II's don't

best cab for a 5150 is a either an engl pro, marshall with v30s, mesa 4x12, Orange etc, anything with v30s is perfect for that amp IF you do get the mesa make sure it is a mesa 4x12 OS (standard) NOT TRADITIONAL

you will need an OD pedal like the maxon808,tsxx,sd-1,etc

and a noise gate
listen to the clips on my page if you wana hear what the 5150 sounds like

You will not "need" an OD pedal for an amp like this. Matt from bullet doesn't use an OD for his main tone (only for leads). Again its preference, you may like the OD in there or you may not but in no way is an OD required.

As far as the 'make sure its not mesa traditional' i don't know where you are getting this from. This is personal opinion here. Killswitch Engage (who have also used 5150's) use mesa traditionals. Much like the OD, the cabinet choice is up to you. The mesa standard cab is going to give you more bass and perhaps a little less clarity than the traditional.

(What i don't understand is why you suggest a marhsall with v30's but not the mesa traditional which also has v30's and is very much like the marshall. Doesn't really make sense dude)

Most importantly,

"no dude 5150II/6505+ have more gain. 5150s have more attack
5150 II's don't "

is INCORRECT. Look it up anywhere on the net or on the many threads on this forum.

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention TS was that the 6505+/5150II has better cleans than the 6505/5150.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Jan 1, 2010,
you are ****ing tool bro.

KSE studio tone and everyband that has been listen in this was with a Mesa OVERSIZED

and yes the 5150 has MORE attack

stop hyping and try it out for your self

and i mean if this is comming from a fourm that believes that the bugera clones are better. this world is doomed

^ this man knows more then you.
Also bear in mind it's Andy Sneap's... how am I supposed to know his is unmodded from that single post?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Get the 5150 II/6505+. The standards have a shared EQ and crappier cleans. Plus you can always mod the Lead/Rhythm channels to be exactly the same as the standards if you really want.

An OD pedal is generally recommended for most high gain heads, the Peavey's are no different. I'd suggest a Digitech HardWire CM-2 or Maxon OD808.

A noise suppressor is a must have for 5150/6505 amps, get an ISP Decimator. Hands down the best on the market, the regular version should be fine unless you plan on running a bunch of effect pedals. If that's the case, get the G-String version which has a separate set up inputs/outputs so it can run in the FX loop. It also tighter suppression of the Pro Rack G.

An excellent delay pedal is the HardWire DL-8.

As for cabs, I can't recommend Vader's enough. They are absolutely BRUTAL and are build like tanks. Other good choices would be Orange, Avatar (Orange clones) and Mesa.

Make sure you get a set of good tubes and a bias mod when you get your amp though, it'll go a long ways to improving your tone.
Last edited by )(yperX at Jan 1, 2010,
The 5150 III is rediculously overpriced, especially to have been made in Mexico.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
you are ****ing tool bro.

KSE studio tone and everyband that has been listen in this was with a Mesa OVERSIZED

and yes the 5150 has MORE attack

stop hyping and try it out for your self

and i mean if this is comming from a fourm that believes that the bugera clones are better. this world is doomed

^ this man knows more then you.

im sorry but you really need to grow up...

1) here is PROOF that KSE use traditional mesas:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery_artist/gear_list.php?id=529
http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery_artist/gear_list.php?id=528

2) i mentioned NOTHING in my post about 'attack'

3) as for the amount of gain again a simple search on this forum or anywhere on the internet shows that the 5150 has more gain than the 5150 II

4) as said before a number of artists use high gain amps without OD's.
So it seems like i should go with 5150 II/6505+ and a mesa cab. Or would the stock peavey cab do just fine? And is there any difference between the 5150 II and the 6505+, or is it just a name. Any wiring differences or such?
Thanks for all the help guys, really cleared up some of my questions.
stock peavey cab is fine but if you can get a mesa you will be paired up with similar equipment to the bands you want to sound like. If you take the 6505+ route then the mesa standard cab (oversized) would probably be better (this is the combo that matt uses from bullet).

depending on what you can get a hold of try out as different cabs to see which you like best. same goes for the 6505 or 6505+ choice, if you can play both then definitely do that, tone and amp choice is very much personal preference and you might like one better than the other even though they are for the most part pretty similar.

as far as the 5150II/6505+ thing its essentially just a name change because when van halen left peavey he took the name with him (which is why you can purchase 5150III's which are made by fender) so peavey had to come up with a new name for the same line of amps.
A cat from Rebel Amps in Oxford, MS (My home state) talks about sending a Splawn Nitro to Joel to try, and apparently he used it to record the new KSe album, as well as some touring. I've seen photos of them playing in front of walls of marshall cabs, videos of them in front of Mesa rigs, etc. They don't seem to use one set of amps, exclusively. They seem to favor the use of different amps for different songs to evoke different tones to suit the songs.

For example, "The Reckoning" has Hot Rodded Marshall written all over it, or rather Splawn. Some of the other songs have tighter, less middy tones, reminiscent of a Diezel with the mid cut tweaked.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
they use trads live. os in the studio

also. i'll grow up when you stop giving bad advice

"KSE studio tone and everyband that has been listen in this was with a Mesa OVERSIZED"

- if i can interpret this sentence correctly it seems to imply that KsE only use oversized mesas. your last post seems to be a convenient cover up. do you have proof that they use OS's in the studio?

- i hope you recognize that people who swear and are rude to others aren't usually taken very seriously.

- what bad advice? why don't you email peavey and ask them these questions and see what they tell you?
Quote by ConfederateAxe
A cat from Rebel Amps in Oxford, MS (My home state) talks about sending a Splawn Nitro to Joel to try, and apparently he used it to record the new KSe album, as well as some touring. I've seen photos of them playing in front of walls of marshall cabs, videos of them in front of Mesa rigs, etc. They don't seem to use one set of amps, exclusively. They seem to favor the use of different amps for different songs to evoke different tones to suit the songs.

For example, "The Reckoning" has Hot Rodded Marshall written all over it, or rather Splawn. Some of the other songs have tighter, less middy tones, reminiscent of a Diezel with the mid cut tweaked.

KsE use a lot of different gear both on their albums and live. there are some sources online that mention what gear they use for recording all of their albums :-)

as far as the 5150 goes they used this amp on The End of Heartache album and have used them from time to time in live settings.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
5150/6505 = More gain, lower mid focused, 1 eq for both channels

5150II/6505+ = slightly less gain (although still tons), slightly higher mid focused, an eq for each channel

chimaira uses 6505 and bullet uses 6505+ (one of the guitarists does anyway).

the peavey cabs are fine but if you want something a little better try pairing the head with a mesa cab. If you get the 6505 most people would suggest a mesa traditional and if you get a 6505+ most people suggest a mesa standard cab (this combination is what matt uses in bullet).

hope this helps some.

How much less gain is "slightly less". Still enough to do heavy metal and all that good stuff?

Is it worth getting it, even though it has less gain, for the separate eq for each channel.

And you say the + has a better mid and high end? Could you eq the standard so it sounds the same?
6505+ does have more gain and IMO just has a fuller thicker sound than the 5150/6505.
You will NEED a noise suppressor with either of the amps.
You might want an OD pedal. It will just give you more gain and a tighter hotter sound, maxon od808 would be the best option there.
As for a cab, IMO a MARSHALL 1960A lead cab with GT75s is hands down the best cab to compliment this head, built like a tank as well.
I have an mkII and I truly regret not getting an mkI.

I can confirm the mkII having less gain and being more high-mid focused. They're a fair bit fizzier as well, they have this weird 10khz fizzle that is nigh on impossible to get rid of.
If you care about cleans, buy a seperate tube combo in the future and get an A/B pedal on the go and use both. If you're getting any 5150, it's a far better idea to go for an mkI.

Also, Catharsis is right. Get an OD. It'll tighten up the low end and shape the mid-range and smooth out the highs. You don't NEED an OD, but it makes a difference for the better.
Quote by cardiac_arrest
How much less gain is "slightly less". Still enough to do heavy metal and all that good stuff?

Is it worth getting it, even though it has less gain, for the separate eq for each channel.

And you say the + has a better mid and high end? Could you eq the standard so it sounds the same?

- it still has plenty to do all that heavy metal and good stuff yes. if you were to make an approximation say if the 5150 was on pregain 6 the 5150II would probably be on about 5 to match. i've never heard of anyone coming close to maxing out either amp so you will have plenty no matter which you choose (again matt from bfmv uses the 6505+ and he has a pretty metal tone)

- you could more than likely eq either amp to sound like the other.

- its not like there is a big difference between the two amps but there are small differences. although this isn't the best example here is a vid that tests both amps, you can hear the differences between the two for the most part though.

- if you're unsure about which to get the safer choice is probably the 6505+ as this seems to be generally more popular amongst most musicians. but if you can try out both before you buy then i'd recommend doing that.

- if you want an OD the most popular are maxon808's and ibanez ts-808 or some prefer the ibanez ts-9. but if you're deciding which amp to buy its best to test it out without an OD at first then afterwards you can add an OD in the mix and see how you like it.

hope this helps :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiqTxktTEm8
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by donni69
6505+ does have more gain and IMO just has a fuller thicker sound than the 5150/6505.

That's not true at all. It has less gain (not that it matters lol). Read the "mother of all 5150/6505" thread

Quote by donni69
As for a cab, IMO a MARSHALL 1960A lead cab with GT75s is hands down the best cab to compliment this head, built like a tank as well.

No. GT-75's scoop mids, which, for a Marshall is somewhat of a good thing (it tames the mids a bit since Marshalls tend to have TONS of midrange), whereas in an American voiced amp like the 5150/6505 scooping mids will take away from it's sound.

V30's or another mid voiced speaker would be better.
Quote by cardiac_arrest

A) Slightly less, you won't miss any gain, there's still more than anyone needs.

B) No. The clean channel STILL sucks and that's not why you're buying a 5150 in the first place, so why compromise the distortion channel's quality just for the sake of only SLIGHTLY less shitty cleans. Like I mentioned in my previous post, just pick up a tube combo in the future if you really feel liek you need the clean channel.

C) There's more high mids and less low mids so the character of the amp is more suited to thrashier stuff. You can't really EQ the 2 to sound like the 1 and I haven't been able to spend enough time with an mkI to figure out if that applies both ways yet.
It kinda seems like common consensus is the original, not the II/+. With an ISP Decimator, and a OD pedal to tighten up the epic ton3z :P
Quote by rlheart
That's not true at all. It has less gain (not that it matters lol). Read the "mother of all 5150/6505" thread

No. GT-75's scoop mids, which, for a Marshall is somewhat of a good thing (it tames the mids a bit since Marshalls tend to have TONS of midrange), whereas in an American voiced amp like the 5150/6505 scooping mids will take away from it's sound.

V30's or another mid voiced speaker would be better.

GT-75s do not scoop mids at all quite the opposite actaully. The other guitarist in my band plays through a 6505+ through a 1960a cab and his tone is not in any way "scooped". Ive heard his head though recto cabs with the same settings and it sounds alot more scooped than through gt-75s. As for the gain, i used to use a 6505 through an orange cab, and we did alot of side by side tests and the 6505+ does have more gain on tap.
Quote by cardiac_arrest
What's the price difference between the two pedals?

depends on where you purchase it, here is a very popular music store website that has some prices:

NS2:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-NS-2-Noise-Suppressor-Pedal-100090732-i1124485.gc

ISP:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ISP-Technologies-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal-101364214-i1372410.gc
here is a popular website where a tech quickly lists the differences between the 5150 and 5150II

http://www.fjamods.com/5150VS5150II.html

if you are unsure who to believe about the amount of gain and are not convinced by the website link then email peavey and ask.
Yeah, I think I'll just go with the 5150/6505 when i can find one used for a good deal. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it
Page 1 of 2