how do you go about recording tempo changes? i know its important to use a metronome but how do you make that change without losing time???
Depending on your DAW, you can adjust this as the song goes by. Once you figure out how many measures of each tempo that you need to have, you can put in little markers that will change the click track for you as you go through the song.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Your recording program. Digital Audio Workstation. Basically anything like ProTools, Cubase, Logic, Garageband, Ableton Live, Adobe Audition etc. Check the manual for whichever one of those you use and see if it's possible. Also, try googling it and see if the answer is out there.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
another way to do it that i sometimes use is to create a scratch track in tux guitar (or guitar pro). something that has like the basics of the song there so you dont get lost. i know if im playing the same progression a few times, it can be easy to lose track when you are focusing on your playing and recording. anyway, if you set something like that up you can have the time sig changes and stuff, then use that as your "metronome."
Quote by jof1029
another way to do it that i sometimes use is to create a scratch track in tux guitar (or guitar pro). something that has like the basics of the song there so you dont get lost. i know if im playing the same progression a few times, it can be easy to lose track when you are focusing on your playing and recording. anyway, if you set something like that up you can have the time sig changes and stuff, then use that as your "metronome."

+1. I write all of my guitar related songs in guitar pro, then export the midi into reaper and I have the tempo track written down for me