I recently bought my first electric guitar, though I've been playing acoustic for years. Whenever I record with my acoustic, I just use the mic built-in to my iMac along with the Garageband program.

I was wondering what would be the best way to record on my computer, probably in Garageband, with my electric guitar. My amp is a Vox VT50 and my guitar is a Godin Summit CT.

Do I just plug my guitar into my computer by buying one of this 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch jack adapters or do I go from my amp to my computer? Or do I need one of those USB interface things that I would plug my guitar into and then plug the interface into the computer via USB?

If you could tell me what is the easiest, or what is the best way to do this, that would be awesome. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
If you get the adapter, you won't get the best quality. I think USB is the best way to go, or professionally mic your amp.
If you have the money, buy a legit interface and a good mic. There are a bunch of recommendations in the stickies here, and there should be something for any budget.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Okay, I don't know much about this stuff, but I was reading in my amp's owners manual and it says:

Headphone Jack:
"Use this jack if you want to output directly to a mixer or recording device, or when you want to use headphones. The signal that is output from this jack is taken from directly before the Valve Reactor power amp, and the cabinet response of the guitar amp will be applied to it.
Note: If you connect this jack, no sound will be output from the internal speaker."

So, does that mean I can use a cable with a 1/8 inch jack on each end and go from my headphones jack of my amp to the input jack in my computer? Or does it not work like that?

If I need to connect to my computer a different way, can you link me to the equipment I need? I'm thinking maybe getting a USB interface because I have a Shure SM58 and PG58 that I could use to record vocals, and I think those interfaces allow you to plug in vocal mics, as well as an electric guitar. What are those devices called? I thought it was an interface but maybe not. Do they make anything cheap that will allow me to connect a mic and my guitar to my computer to record into garageband?
It works like that, but your computer's built in sound card will produce very low quality audio with a buttload of latency. If you get a real interface then it takes the place of your sound card and reduces latency by as much as 100%.

Again, READ THE STICKIES. I know for a fact there is a list of cheap interfaces that sound decent that will let you record into garageband. Off the top of my head, there's the Line 6 UX1 or UX2. And yes, the line out on the back of your amp will sound decent when run through an interface, and 'interface' is the proper term. 'USB (or Firewire) Audio Interface' is the full term, but if you're browsing Musiciansfriend, all you need to know is 'interface.'

Now go read the stickies and come back with any questions you have after you've done that.

Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jan 1, 2010,
There are two main types of downloadable music services: a la carte downloads, and subscription downloads. A la carte download stores typically charge 99 cents per song download, and allow you to play the song forever, assuming you live that long. Subscription download stores charge a flat monthly fee and allow you to download all the tracks you can eat for as long as you keep paying the subscription. This allows easy access to a vast quantity of music, but you'll need to keep paying the monthly fee in order to listen to the music. Some sites offer both types, and some offer streaming only, with no downloads.
Why not get a 4-track recorder? They're small and compact, yet they give you some pretty damn good sound quality; better than a computer in my experience.