So I've got a 60s classic player strat, honestly the best out of shop MIM I've ever heard feels and sounds like a USA. How much of an upgrade would a set of DG-20 pickups give me? Any advice is welcome!
Quote by nendejan
So I've got a 60s classic player strat, honestly the best out of shop MIM I've ever heard feels and sounds like a USA. How much of an upgrade would a set of DG-20 pickups give me? Any advice is welcome!

This isn't supercharging a Chevy Nova is it?
How can anyone tell you what kind of "upgrade" it will give you?

If you like the way it feels and sounds, why are you trying to change it?

So what you really want to know, is how different are these DG-20's?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Not sure what you mean about the chevy nova...
The reason I am looking to upgrade is I really want to try out the EXP and SPC, also my current pickups are very noisy. It goes without saying that anything making my guitar sound more like david gilmour's is something I want.

As far as what kind of upgrade I was trying to see if anyone has experience with both of these pickups and could tell me the pros and cons? The main reason I'm questioning whether or not to buy these is I looked up the price ( an ebay store's) on my current pickups and they are at 270$ (preloaded) and being a newb gearhed the best way for me to judge the quality of something -aside from hearing it - is its price.

Also any information on the installation of these PUPs would be VERY much appreciated I have read sources that say you do need to solder and some that say you don't.
Quote by nendejan
Not sure what you mean about the chevy nova...
The reason I am looking to upgrade is I really want to try out the EXP and SPC, also my current pickups are very noisy. It goes without saying that anything making my guitar sound more like david gilmour's is something I want.

As far as what kind of upgrade I was trying to see if anyone has experience with both of these pickups and could tell me the pros and cons? The main reason I'm questioning whether or not to buy these is I looked up the price ( an ebay store's) on my current pickups and they are at 270$ (preloaded) and being a newb gearhed the best way for me to judge the quality of something -aside from hearing it - is its price.

Also any information on the installation of these PUPs would be VERY much appreciated I have read sources that say you do need to solder and some that say you don't.

What I meant was, that you asked for an opinion as to what sort of "upgrade" these pickups will give you.

The Chevy Nova (a car) comment, meant that tone, sound and nobody knowing how your guitar sounds right now makes it impossible for someone to tell you what improvement these pickups will make. On the other hand, if you asked someone what sort of "upgrade" you would get from supercharging a Chevy Nova, people know what sort of power they have and what sort of power a supercharger will give you, so could give you an approximate answer

Your second post is much more informative as to what you are looking for, and is what you should have said in the first place

So your guitar is noisy? Perhaps you should look at that as an issue first, before worrying about if you need new pickups or not?

I imagine someone will be along soon to let you know about those pickups.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
So your guitar is noisy? Perhaps you should look at that as an issue first, before worrying about if you need new pickups or not?
Depends on the noise. If TS is talking about the hum from the pickups when the selector is in positions 1, 3, and 5 (but is quiet in positions 2 and 4), this will be corrected by using hum-canceling pickups like the EMGs in the DG-20 kit.

TS, I don't think you will get useful advice on the EMGs over the net. You really need to use active pickups before you can determine whether they are something that suits you or not. Try going to a music store that sells used. If they have a Strat with EMGs, plug it into an amp similar to yours and play with it for a while. You might like it, or find it just can't get the tones you're looking for.

The EQ modules will offer some variations in your tonal palette, but if the inherent tone of the EMGs doesn't work for you, it's unlikely they'll get you where you wanna go.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Depends on the noise. If TS is talking about the hum from the pickups when the selector is in positions 1, 3, and 5 (but is quiet in positions 2 and 4), this will be corrected by using hum-canceling pickups like the EMGs in the DG-20 kit.

TS, I don't think you will get useful advice on the EMGs over the net. You really need to use active pickups before you can determine whether they are something that suits you or not. Try going to a music store that sells used. If they have a Strat with EMGs, plug it into an amp similar to yours and play with it for a while. You might like it, or find it just can't get the tones you're looking for.

The EQ modules will offer some variations in your tonal palette, but if the inherent tone of the EMGs doesn't work for you, it's unlikely they'll get you where you wanna go.

See TS. I said someone would be along in a bit didn't I

Glad it was the all knowing one too
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani