I play lead guitar in a hard rock band, and I need a good wah pedal. I dont really know too much about wah pedals, so I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

Money isnt really a constraint, and at home for practice I use a Spider III 120w or a Vypyr 60. And for live gigs and recordings (and sometimes home practice) I have a Valveking 112 with a Man O' War Speaker and a mxr 10-band eq.

My guitars are in my sig if knowing those matter too.

I need something that will work very very very well with distortion, but will sound good clean as well.

I looked into the MXR MC404 CAE Wah pedal which seemed really nice. But none of the stores near me carry them in stock, they are special order only, and i would prefer to try out any suggestions before making a purchase.
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
With how much gain should it work well and what kind of wah tones do you like?

However, standard suggestions are:

Crybaby 535Q, Ibanez WD-7, Ibanez WH10V2, Morley Bad Horsie (2), Morley Tremonti
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The gain levels we use are problem on the same page as bands like Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, RED, Skillet, Alter Bridge, Rise Against and Nickelback.

And as I dont know too much about wah pedals, its hard for me to describe the sounds I like. When i hear the tone its easy for me to say which tones i like, but idk how to describe them. sorry.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Last edited by Knightmare444 at Jan 1, 2010,
Say an artist or song or something that you like the wah in.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I guess you could say a tone im looking for is the kind used by the 2nd guitar during the intro of Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin, or something similar to slash's Velvet Revolver wah sound. (Namely Come on Come In Intro/Solo)
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
idk bout Bad Horsie but buying Morley would be right i think...
A. Morleys do hi gain pretty well.. i mean handle hi gain pretty well
B. Morleys are taugh
C. they do cleans pretty well too

im just not sure about Bad horsie cause
A. it's a sig model. somes actually tend to avoid sig models
B. it's got a step-on switch which is not that versatile... like you cant open it and leave it right there (eg Whole lotta love Solo)
I wanna say that the Breaking Benjamin guys use a Dunlop rack wah and I know that Slash does. I'd go with something from Teese like the RMC3 where you can tweak it to sound however you want with some trim pots and DIP switches. Or just get your standard fare Dunlop GCB-95 and mod it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I would prefer to stay away from Signature Artist Models like Slash and EVH as they are very pricey and most cases you are paying for the name. And I do want to be somewhat unique.

Ive heard good things about the Dunlop 535Q, but they were general opinions, no one really said anything good or bad about it doing hard rock styles.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
I would prefer to stay away from Signature Artist Models like Slash and EVH as they are very pricey and most cases you are paying for the name. And I do want to be somewhat unique.

Ive heard good things about the Dunlop 535Q, but they were general opinions, no one really said anything good or bad about it doing hard rock styles.

The 535Q is a pretty mediocre wah IMO. You'd be better off buying a used GCB-95, a soldering iron and parts if you don't want to spend too much money.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Knightmare444
I guess you could say a tone im looking for is the kind used by the 2nd guitar during the intro of Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin, or something similar to slash's Velvet Revolver wah sound. (Namely Come on Come In Intro/Solo)

I'd say the CAE should work pretty well if you can find one. If not the Crybaby 535Q could probably give you that kind of sound, but better you simply walk into a shop and try all wah's in your price range.
Chances are that you accidently find a wah pedal which you like better than the ones people on this forum recommend.

EDIT:
Quote by Knightmare444

There is good signature gear which is worth the money and there is bad signature gear, which is basically crap with an artists name on it.

The 535Q should do hard rock styles well.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Jan 1, 2010,
I really really REALLY would prefer not to have to do any modding. Im crunched for time as it is with School and Work and Band. Anything I could just buy, plug in, and dial in the settings would be prefered.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
I really really REALLY would prefer not to have to do any modding. Im crunched for time as it is with School and Work and Band. Anything I could just buy, plug in, and dial in the settings would be prefered.

Then your best option would be what Jesus Crisp said.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

@Jesus yeah i know what you mean about finding stuff by accident. Everyone here says stay away from the Valveking amps. But I tried one out at guitar center, and It was ok. So I got one off ebay and put a new speaker in it and hooked it up to a 10-band eq and its a fantastic sounding amp for the price i paid for it.

But with wah pedals i didnt even have a place to start, so you guys definitely helped there.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Vox big bad wah, yes it`s a sig model, but it`s the same price as a 535q. (i`ve found 6 different voices in real time so far with it)
you need to decide how you want to use the wah, as some of them work optically(morley) and some mechanically (vox, crybaby). the optical type you can`t leave in one position an use as a filter `cos your foot needs to be on it, for it to work.

or if you really want the classic sound on it`s own the vox 847 has dropped dramatically in price cheapest i`ve seen it was £59.
@Knightmare:

Cool, just keep in mind that you could like a wah which most people here wouldn't recommend, so really try out everything they have at the shop.
Just make sure the employee there plug you into an amp with similar gain levels as your Valveking.

And don't ignore signature wah pedals, they are worth the money if they deliver the sounds you like.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz