Hey UG,

I was wondering if there might be an alternative available to the traditional over the shoulder strap? The reason I ask is because I'm a guitarist and singer. I often find that the pressure from the strap across my back and front limits my breathing.

I'm mostly curious if anyone has come across maybe a device that might go around the waist or something to support a guitar instead. Or am I going to have to do a DIY job on this? ;-)

P.S I'm aware of guitar stands that allow you to position your guitar but this is not what I'm looking for. I still would like to be mobile on stage.

Any insight into this would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
I also sing and play... You just gotta suck it up, cupcake... I've gotten used to it...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Can't remember the name, but I saw in a guitar magazine an alternative guitar strap, that had 2 straps, so that they went over both shoulders, balancing the strain. Something like that might be worth checking out.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Can't remember the name, but I saw in a guitar magazine an alternative guitar strap, that had 2 straps, so that they went over both shoulders, balancing the strain. Something like that might be worth checking out.

Hmm, interesting...

Thanks, I'll look into that.
Quote by In The Mist

Though seriously, I don't know what alternatives exist.

Awesome! Dethklok have all the answers!

But yeh, that was the general design I had in mind
I saw an alternative somewhere that resembled a harness. I wouldn't ever wear it live.

As said, just suck it up. Maybe buy a wider strap so that it spreads the weight more evenly, or buy a lighter guitar.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by ravenblight
Awesome! Dethklok have all the answers!

But yeh, that was the general design I had in mind

Not sure it would help your breathing any. The only thing I can think of is to put it on a stand, but who the hell does that except for people who need to quickly switch from electric to acoustic?
Pressure from the strap on your back?? I could understand pressure on your shoulder but your back? Hmm...
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
Pressure from the strap on your back?? I could understand pressure on your shoulder but your back? Hmm...

Yeh guess I either have a weird shape or bad posture...
Quote by ravenblight
Yeh guess I either have a weird shape or bad posture...

Do you use a boom mic stand? The only way I can think of having back pressure is if you have to lean forward to a straight stand
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
You're definetely doing something wrong or you have a bad posture or something. Im 6,4" and my strap doesn't put pressure on my back. I don't use straight mic though.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by Juadafi
Do you use a boom mic stand? The only way I can think of having back pressure is if you have to lean forward to a straight stand

It varies depending on where I'm playing. But I am inclined to use a boom mic when I can.
Then buy yourself a boom mic stand and carry it everywhere.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
Then buy yourself a boom mic stand and carry it everywhere.

Yeh, would be a worthy investment, I agree.

But first I'll try to invent what I'm looking for. When that fails I'll give in

Cheers guys!
you don't need your back for proper breathing technique mate. a problem for singing would be that the guitar on your belly makes the abdominal breathing harder, put not pressure on your back ?
zz top belt strap?
then you can do guitar spins!

actually, now I want one, where can i get it?
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
I'm 6'2", gigging at least three times a week, playing guitar and singing, and I've suffered from chronic back and neck problems for years....

I've never felt the guitar strap has had even the slightest impact on my singing capability, I suspect your answer lies elsewhere ) posture etc.
Just move your guitar up or down, my guess is that you have the weight of the guitar on your diaphragm which prevents you from taking in as much air as you normally would. Either that or you're a pansy.

+1 for the ZZ Top belt strap those are awesome.
Exercise/ work out? if a strap is affecting your breathing.. you're either out of shape..

or your guitar is made of lead and concrete.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by ticklemeemo
Just move your guitar up or down, my guess is that you have the weight of the guitar on your diaphragm which prevents you from taking in as much air as you normally would. Either that or you're a pansy.

+1 for the ZZ Top belt strap those are awesome.

I think the guitar pressing on my diaphragm could be likely, more so than being a pansy anyway. Now I must look into finding a ZZ Top belt strap!

Cheers!
you can get stands that hold the guitar in the position for playing.yngwie malmsteen uses one on one of the G3 dvds
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
It almost sounds like you may need to work on your lung capacity through some form of exercise. Our band's singer has no trouble breathing, and he's survived through seven lung collapses over the last year.
If you are having issues with an uncomfortable guitar strap try this one: [forbidden link].
It is an ergonomic design to reduce back strain and called the Martinez Pro Guitar Strap. They also do guitar supports for just that reason which take the weight off the strap.
And anyway - suction cups? You gotta be shitting me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you could wear the strap over just one shoulder like iv seen jack white do occasionally and others do it, it doesnt seem very safe for your guitar though?