So i just got a new guitar used for christmas, with included hardshell case. Awesome right? Only problem is...he was a smoker.

I've tried fabreezing it...like...3 times, and i can still smell it. Anyone know how I can get that awful smell out of my case?

also: why does it matter if a guitar was in a smoke-free home? I see that alot in used advertisements. Is it just because of the stink? Or does it actually affect the guitar?
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by bobby_splax
also: why does it matter if a guitar was in a smoke-free home? I see that alot in used advertisements. Is it just because of the stink? Or does it actually affect the guitar?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254313
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
it'll smell, and in some instances (especially with white nitrocellulose finishes) the smoke can cause it to yellow faster.
Baking soda is good at removing odor. It got rid of the cat pee smell in my carpet. If it can do that then it should be able to clean up the smell in your case. Just put a box of arm and hammer in the case.
Baking soda will remove the smell. Scatter it in the case and leave it for an hour then vacuum it out with the small nozzle. If anything persists, get a bit of clean old cloth and put a few drops of aroma oil (patchouli or whatever you can live with) in a net bag for a few days.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I had the exact same problem as you, the guys case smelled like a mixture of vomit and cigarettes. So I just went to the local Hardware store, picked up 2 of those little capsule things that you open and good smells come out of. Put one on one each side of the inside of the case and closed the case up for about a week (i took the guitar out and left it out, obviously) when I checked it again it smelled like Heaven I kid you not, now I open my case just to get a wiff of it.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

It has been my experiance that if you just put in a nice smelling scented whatever in your guitar case, you end up with perfumed cigerette smell. It is a bit like those odor "removing" sprays etc for your bathroom you spray it after dropping a tird & it just smells like perfumed tird.

Have you tried vanilla essence works a treat on stinky fridges.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
^^^lol^^^
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Wait until spring and leave it in the sun for a few days.

And FWIW, Febreeze does not remove odors. It’s just perfumed water sold to gullible housewives.
Hmm, cigarette smoke is a horrible smell to get rid of :/ I was gonna suggest Febreze too XD. All of the above methods seem pretty sound like.
I would rather be flawed and wise, than perfect and blind.
get the "little trees" air fresheners for cars and keep one in your case, my strat case smells like "black ice" whenever i open it up and it is just lovely

or look for a product called "OZIUM".... it will work fantastically well.... a pothead recommended it to me.... and they know what's up as far as removing and covering up smells
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Jan 1, 2010,
It very hard to remove the smell of smoke from stuff like that. The best way to clean it would be to use some type of upholstery cleaner but you would have to test it on the material first to see if it won't fade or bleach the color. If you do use a cleaner vac it after with a wet vac and use a hair dryer to help dry it then let it sit for a few days open in the heat. If it still stinks you'll have to use some deodorizer but you want to make sure it won't hurt the case lining or the guitar. Nitro finishes suck! Everything effects those so if you have a Gibson or Fender you'll probably want to stay away from and chemicals. I also say putting one of the tree air fresheners in the little compartment where it will not come in contact with the guitar itself will help a lot. The smell is probably on the tolex on the outside as well but that can be cleaned with a little dish washing detergent and brush wipe it dry let it sit and give it a good coating of armorall.

John