I am going to be changing my active EMG pickups over to passives. What I need is a list of everything needed for the switch as I have no idea what I should buy.

Here is the wiring diagram I am probably going to be using
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T21_03/Guitar_Wiring_Diagram_2_Humbuckers3Way_Toggle_Switch2_Volumes1_ToneCoil_Tap_Reverse_Phase.html

Obviously I know I need push/pull 500k pots, .047 capacitor, and wiring. Problem is I don't know if I need long shaft/short shaft, what type of capacitor (orange drop/ceramic/metal film/etc..), what kind of wiring and how much, what kind of solder, etc... I just need a parts list so I know what to buy. I don't want to just start buying without knowing for sure.

Also I'm positive I want coil splits but I don't know if I want only that or should I go with reverse phase or series/parallel. I don't know much about either.

Thanks
Short/long shaft depends on the guitar, I know LPs use long shaft as do many carved tops. I'm no expert on capacitors but I'd say either metal film or ceramic will work, if i remember correctly orange drops are overly expensive and not worth it. I used standard electronics hookup wire and it worked fine but you can use shielded stuff if you want. Finally you need 60/40 lead solder.
a soldering iron circa 35watts, 60/40 rosen(sp?) core solder(it's the standard stuff), guitar, new pickups

If you're just swapping the pickups you don't need to get any of the rest of the stuff you mentioned, you can just use what's already in your guitar. You don't need to totally rewire your guitar.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
a soldering iron circa 35watts, 60/40 rosen(sp?) core solder(it's the standard stuff), guitar, new pickups

If you're just swapping the pickups you don't need to get any of the rest of the stuff you mentioned, you can just use what's already in your guitar. You don't need to totally rewire your guitar.

I can reuse the wire. That's about it. Pots for EMG actives are 25k I need 500k pots for passive humbuckers. Also need new capacitors.

The orange drops are not that expensive and same price as the metal film and just 2.00 more than ceramic. On the site I'm looking at anyway.

So far:
500k Push/Pull Pots
60/40 Solder
Soldering Iron 35 Watts
Orange Drop .047 Capacitor

Could I reuse wire or is it best just to buy new?

As for the long or short shaft I'll figure that out.
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Jan 1, 2010,