I don't trust myself selling items on eBay or other online vendors and shipping to strangers. So I tried my local shop, but they do a consignment, if my guitar even sells at all. So I'm probably going to sell my guitar at GuitarCenter if their offer is reasonable.
I know that my guitar, in its condition is worth $160-$200
So any tips on selling my guitar and not looking foolish at the place?
Thanks!
Good luck. They will always give you way less than you are expecting. Try to sell it on craigslist or in the local paper. What is it?
definetly try local press and free advert sites, if peole want you to ship you can restrict it to only ship when full payment is recieved, whatever you do, do not take personal check, they can bounce paypal is your best option for that, but most of the time people will ask to view the guitar before they buy it.
Keep in mind, GC doesn't buy things to keep them, they buy them to sell them. So if it should be able to sell for $160-$200, they probably won't offer you any more than $100. Unless theyre doing a trade in deal that you think you can take advantage of, selling to a store is never the way to go.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
yeah don't go to guitarcenter.. they will rip yeh off.. what kind of guitar is it.. we can see what the new price is and if yeh took a pic of yours and posted it we can compare
You: (Enter GC)

GC Guy: Hi, welcome to GC! Would you like to buy an awesome new Spider III?

You: No. I'd like to sell my guitar.

GC Guy: Alrighty.

You: What are you willing to buy it for?

GC Guy: How about $120?

You: Don't think so. Can you do $180?

GC Guy: Ha ha, no. How about $125 and 10% off our great new Spider IVs?

You: Bye.

I imagine it'd go down sort of like that. Know the price the guitar is worth and be confident, but not cocky. Don't settle for anything lower than the minimum in your head. If they refuse to do that price that just sigh and say "Alright, I guess I'll go try at Sam Ash."

Also, as long as you remember that it's those guys trying desperately to make commission off Spiders and MGs, you can never appear as foolish as them.
Last edited by Seref at Jan 1, 2010,
Guitar center will see what the average you're guitar sellsfor on eBay and then offer you 75 percent. There is nothing wrong with selling on eBay. Just make sure your description is spot on and you can make it so people can only pay with paypal and control where you'll ship to. Local listings on sites like craigslist are helpful as well. Best way to figure out what your guitar sells for normally is to do an advanced search for ended eBay auctions of your guitar. Can only be done if you already have an eBay account though.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by wicked.sike
I don't trust myself selling items on eBay or other online vendors and shipping to strangers. So I tried my local shop, but they do a consignment, if my guitar even sells at all. So I'm probably going to sell my guitar at GuitarCenter if their offer is reasonable.
I know that my guitar, in its condition is worth $160-$200
So any tips on selling my guitar and not looking foolish at the place?
Thanks!

There's 100% mark up when buying new from dealer so figure at least no more 50% on what you think it's worth. A "decent" pawn shop should offer a little more if they know you and "sell" it. I was like you about ebay. I've had over 30 years of guitars I wanted to unload. Sold some in the paper but small audience. Sold some cheap stuff on ebay first to get idea then the guitars. Look at ebay tutorial on selling. Gives you step to step instructions. Very good. Take some pics, look at how others are listed re: how they are written up, look at similar guitars and not just on ebay. (all very important) Pics are your best selling tool. Their basic package is okay for you. You can set reserve. Ebay looks after shipping costs based on your location and destination. Don't worry be hhhhappy.
If you want half of what the guitar is worth by all means sell it to GC. When it comes to buying used equipment they might as well carry guns and wear ski masks! Take it to GC and get an estimate then sell it privately. They will give you about 50% of what they sell it for if you want cash 60% if you just want to put it towards a trade. Say they offer you $100.00 so your guitar is worth about 2 you can sell it for $150.00 make $50 over GCs lowball offer. If you want to sell it for the full 200 you might have to wait a while before you get an offer and be prepared buyers are going to want to talk you down anyway.

As far as Ebay goes you take your chances. You might get more you might get less. I would set a reserve at what the least amount I would except for the guitar and go from there

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Jan 1, 2010,
There is practically no bargaining when selling to a big guitar store.

Before you go there to sell it, look for the same model you have and look at its price. Minus about 100 bucks, that's how much they're going to sell it if it's in mint condition, so they're going to offer you 3/4 of that price at best.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.