Hi guys of UG... I just a have little question regarding my picking technique. When I play songs with fast gallops or fast alternate picking on the low e string (Battery, She Wolf etc...) it hurts my index finger on the picking hand. Not the whole finger, just where the finger connects with my knuckles, like the finger is going to dislocate or something. It doesn't hurt very much, and it only hurts when I'm currently picking, nothing afterwards.

Anyone else who've had this problem before? If so, what did you do to get rid of the pain?
you might be tensing your finger up too much when you pick, there is no reason any part of your picking hand should hurt when playing (except maybe when you're playing a song that requires a lot of endurance, but it shouldn't really be pain, just muscles getting tired).

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
you might be tensing your finger up too much when you pick, there is no reason any part of your picking hand should hurt when playing (except maybe when you're playing a song that requires a lot of endurance, but it shouldn't really be pain, just muscles getting tired).

Yeah, I've been trying to loose up some on the tension but my pick just ends up sliding out of my grip.
Quote by skateralle
Yeah, I've been trying to loose up some on the tension but my pick just ends up sliding out of my grip.

hmm... you could take an exacto blade to it (or any other extremely sharp knife) and scrape it up a bit to create some grooves for better grip. they also make non-slip picks, but i'm perfectly fine with some dunlop tortex's. what kind of picks are you using?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400