Would it sound just as well to slap with the joint of the first finger instead of the joint of the thumb?
backhand
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
I'm asking because i have trouble slapping the high B string without hitting the D string
yeah sorry bout that
i just had to make a subtle joke
im not a bass player btw
wait a lil bit and you'll get an answer definetly
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Tne high B string how is your bass tuned. Learn to get accurate while slapping. Practise. The joint in your thumb is what makes the sound really that slap sound. Theirs really no alternative without being a sloppy mess.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I haven't heard of any way. The only advice I have is to make sure yo are keeping your hand far enough away from the bass (about an inch) and that your thumb is parallel to the strings.
Also:

Quote by Xaldin714
I'm asking because i have trouble slapping the high B string without hitting the D string

High B string?
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Most people end up popping those strings the d and g, unless your going for a pecific sound or some very fast licks.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Xaldin714
G string by bad

Oh, that makes more sense lol. Anyway like the guy above me said, most people pop those strings, I personally never slap the D or G strings.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
The only alternate way to slapping with the thumb is the way Doug Wimbish slaps sometimes and uses the joints at the end of his index and middle finger, or at least that's what it looks like he's doing.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I ll add that the only other way of slapping that i also use as a quick palm mute while slapping, is to tilt your hand a bit more and slap with the thumb and bring your hand back and slap with the muscle were your pinky joins your hand.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'd say if you practice correctly, you'll get it around the same time you figure out the correct names to all the strings.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
I'd say if you practice correctly, you'll get it around the same time you figure out the correct names to all the strings.

It was a typo!
I do it three different ways. Joint of the thumb, most often. The other ways are a downward slap (parallel, towards the strings), and the joint of my finger finger hits the note. I like to use that one when I want a percussive sound, because when the flat of my hand hits the other strings, it makes a muted thump along with the note.

The last way is weird. I can only describe it as similar to alternate picking on the guitar, but using my thumb and middle finger. The basic idea to it is to do a regular thumb slap, then follow up with a slapping motion (like you're actually trying to slap someone), and whacking the note with your index or middle finger. That one takes practice, but it makes an interesting sound. I also use it to help me count beats.
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.
Quote by Xaldin714
It was a typo!

Lol dude, the point is: how long have you been slapping?

Practice it slowly and correctly for an hour or two a day, and I'm sure you'll have it within a week or two adequately enough to think this was a silly thread.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
There is a guy who slaps with his fingers and pops with his thumb or something.
If you can work it out there's no reason you can't do it.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
I slap bitches.

the guy from Korn uses his pinky I think.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom