Gear Used:
Guitar= Jackson 90's RR3- Alder Body, Duncan Designed Detonators (cheap versions of Invaders) in Bridge and Neck. Tuned to Drop D.
Amp= B52 AT-112-
Settings=
Base: 9
Mids: 5
Treble: 9
Gain: 8
Contour: 10
Volume: 5

I dont use any pedals.
My tone is excessively dark and I dont like it. Its really modern when Im trying to go for a more British Vintage Heavy Metal sound. I want Judas Priest it sounds like some pointless Nu-Metal Guitarist. Can anyone help me achieve some change in my sound? On my old amp (Roland Cube 30X) I could simply turn it to the "Metal" Setting and it would get a great vintage sound, I looked into it and apparently the Metal setting is modeled after the Peavey XXX, so is there a way I could achieve that sound? If anyone can recommend ways to help alter my tone a bit whether its new settings, pedals, amps, pups, whatever, Id be really grateful.
The cheaper solutions are preferred because as you can see in my sig, Im saving for a car and its slow going.
Im looking for something like Judas Priest's "Night Crawler" or Saxon's "Crusader"
-Van
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jan 1, 2010,
Put the contour in the middle.
Bass-5
Mid-7
Treble-7
Gain-6

Turn the volume up! Get the tubes working for you!
You should be able to get pretty close to NWOBHM tones. You may just want to tune your guitar to standard or Eb.
Jackson DXMG
Charvel
B-52 AT100
Marshall 1960A
Pedals and stuff
What kind of speaker is in your amp? Maybe a Celestion swap is in order to get the tone you want.
Mids mids mids mids mids TURN THEM UP! Try B:8 M:8 T:6 and see where that gets you.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by FatalGear41
What kind of speaker is in your amp? Maybe a Celestion swap is in order to get the tone you want.

Searched, 10 minutes later I could find no answer, but since it wasnt really advertised Id guess they're B52 Speakers.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

More mids, less treble.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Quote by Yngwie#1
More mids, less treble.

he wants a LESS dark sound

more mids, more treble, less bass more presence more reverb
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
Quote by El-Gonado
Put the contour in the middle.
Bass-5
Mid-7
Treble-7
Gain-6

Turn the volume up! Get the tubes working for you!
You should be able to get pretty close to NWOBHM tones. You may just want to tune your guitar to standard or Eb.

How loud would you recommend for a 60W? I figured 5 was plenty
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Since you don't have a master volume, I'd try it around 8-Turn your guitar volume way down and slowly bring it up. Make sure no-one is home (really fricken LOUD).
Now you should have that awesome thing called "power tube saturation".

The speaker is a B-52 12 inch. Maybe try a 2X12 or 4X12 cab with better speakers.
Jackson DXMG
Charvel
B-52 AT100
Marshall 1960A
Pedals and stuff
Quote by El-Gonado
Since you don't have a master volume, I'd try it around 8-Turn your guitar volume way down and slowly bring it up. Make sure no-one is home (really fricken LOUD).
Now you should have that awesome thing called "power tube saturation".

The speaker is a B-52 12 inch. Maybe try a 2X12 or 4X12 cab with better speakers.

Where did you get that info? His amp is indeed a master volume amp, otherwise there would be no gain control. And TS, you're using way too much gain. Try backing off a bit, turning down your bass and turning up you mids.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Christ and Hendrix unite!

Okay now, there is NO way we can decide what you're sound really is, because we can not hear it, therefore can not decide what you must do to get thy brighter tone. Simply put everything at noon across the board, and fiddle with shit till you get what you want.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
B-52 website. The Master controls only "low res" and "reverb" for both channels. There is no "Master Volume".
I have the AT100. This has a separate "Master Volume" in addition to 3 channel volumes (clean, gain1 and gain2).
Jackson DXMG
Charvel
B-52 AT100
Marshall 1960A
Pedals and stuff
Quote by El-Gonado
B-52 website. The Master controls only "low res" and "reverb" for both channels. There is no "Master Volume".
I have the AT100. This has a separate "Master Volume" in addition to 3 channel volumes (clean, gain1 and gain2).

Master volume just means you use a second volume control after the preamp tubes to get them to saturate while keeping the power section clean and quiet. Any amp with a gain control has a master volume.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The B-52, like most cheap tube amps, could probably stand to have the following:

- Speaker swap
- New tubes
- Output transformer swap
- Possibly an EQ in the effects loop
- Circuit mods.

They're all relatively cheap solutions (i.e. you could do any one of them for $100 or less) For me, they're all equally effective mods and affect sound in their own ways.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
My bad. Didn't pay attention to gain control.
Jackson DXMG
Charvel
B-52 AT100
Marshall 1960A
Pedals and stuff
Turn up the mids up the bass and down the gain as well. I use my XXX for metal and I get great british tones out of it with my el34's. I find the amp to be middy so I never raise the mids above 6. I have the gain only like 4.5 for iron maiden. Really they use much less gain than you'd think.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Interesting, considering how often people scream, "get a new amp," I'm almost suprised that no one has suggested this.

I'm just going to point out the obvious here and suggest you get a new amp that is better suited for British rock tone.

EQing can only accomplish so much, you can add a ton of mids, but it's never going to sound like a plexi. And no matter how much you tweak it, you're never going to get that greasy, Marshall breakup and compression from the amp.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
The B-52, like most cheap tube amps, could probably stand to have the following:

- Speaker swap
- New tubes
- Circuit mods.

They're all relatively cheap solutions (i.e. you could do any one of them for $100 or less) For me, they're all equally effective mods and affect sound in their own ways.

I think for me, this is the best option because it gives a lot of feedback and Im thinking my pre amp tubes are to blame. So what tubes would anyone recommend for some NWOBHM tones?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Tubes are not gonna change your amp to british voiced. However try tungsol 12ax7s, they are brighter than normal preamp tubes. Or you can buy a pedal to get some marshall style overdrive.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Raijouta

- Speaker swap
- New tubes
- Circuit mods.

I wouldn't start with this though yet (even though it's right). His amp isn't really right for him either but he's just doing some bad EQ'ing, when you crank your bass and contour like that your pretty much asking for Nu-Metal tone.

Keep your bass at around 4-6 with your treble somewhat high and your mids a little higher. But really you amp doesn't suit your style much, it's meant to be a 6L6 loaded Mesa Rectifier clone, you want something a little more Marshall.
Quote by JoePerry4life
Tubes are not gonna change your amp to british voiced. However try tungsol 12ax7s, they are brighter than normal preamp tubes. Or you can buy a pedal to get some marshall style overdrive.

Any suggestions?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut
Any suggestions?

Rothwell Hellbender. Watch the Proguitarshop demo of it against a marshall plexi, the thing is amazing. Also, if you want a brighter, Tung Sols are brighter, so you might wanna try some
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by namesroverrated
Rothwell Hellbender. Watch the Proguitarshop demo of it against a marshall plexi, the thing is amazing. Also, if you want a brighter, Tung Sols are brighter, so you might wanna try some

Wow. Just finished watching that video on youtube. At the beginning where they do the blind test and just tell you its "Contender A" and "Contender B", I thought for sure the Marshall was contender A and the Rothwell was B. I was a little underwhelmed 'cause Im thinking "Well Contender B just sounds like some cheap knockoff", thinking it was the Rothwell, when it was the actual Marshall Thats something amazing right there.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie