I read somewhere that certain strings sound crappy with EMGs in the guitar.
Would I be fine with Ernie Ball regular slinkys?
Thank you.
Yksinään hän vaeltaa mis' varjot lankeaa
Halki usvan ja roudan vain teräs seuranaan
Sydämensä kylmä on kuin maa routainen
Mutta silmissään viha polttava kuin kiuas tulinen
I thought all strings sounded crappy with EMGs in the guitar... so no, different strings wont effect your tone.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I would say yes, Hammett and Hetfield both have used EMG/Ernie Ball combo for years and years, along with I am sure many other musicians.
Quote by potatohead_33
I would say yes, Hammett and Hetfield both have used EMG/Ernie Ball combo for years and years, along with I am sure many other musicians.

Alright, thank you.
yes strings do sound different through different pickups, the only way you find out is to try, one of the problems with emg's is their magnets are weak, and depending on how the strings are wound that will affect your tone aswell
active or passive?
judging purely by the sheer volume of artists who use Ernie balls and also EMG's i would say there is nothing 'wrong' with the sound, but you have to find what you like, every set of strings will sound different, try as many as you can be bothered with.
I read somewhere that some strings are better than others. Weirder still, I head that sometimes things sound different to people's ears.

I wonder if this is related to the EMG/Ernie Ball rumour?

(side note: I never really liked Ernie Balls in general. Which is a shame, because I get free EB stickers like mad everytime I buy anything from anybody)
Ernie Ball and D'Addario strings work great with EMG's.

Some others, not so well.
Fire it up, let the engines roll!
It's time to burn it down!
Keep bleeding on till the day you die!
Forever love it loud, yeah!
well different strings will sound different with emgs just like different strings will sound different is non emgs?

and isnt sound mor or less subjective (well...in terms of strings?). go with what you think sounds good.
Quote by HailSlaytan
I read somewhere that certain strings sound crappy with EMGs in the guitar.
Would I be fine with Ernie Ball regular slinkys?
Thank you.

You hear utter bollocks
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Bazookajoe_666
Ernie Ball and D'Addario strings work great with EMG's.

Some others, not so well.

This. After much experimentation, Ernie Ball and D'Addario are all I use. I use Ernie Ball on my guitars with passive pickups, and D'Addario on my guitars with EMGs, as I find that D'Addario strings have a brighter top end on clean, and they really bring out the mids, compared to Ernie Ball strings, which sound much darker by comparison, at least in my guitars.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
The hell? The strings will affect your tone, but nowhere near an audible level, unless your retarded over your tone it doesn't matter which strings you use. The gauge of the strings affect your tone slightly. Other then that it's pretty much all about feel with strings..
Strings are more about the feel, IMO. That feel will affect your fingers' performance, thus altering your tone. That's the only connection I can see.
Yeah, I put some ernie balls on, and they sound great to me.
Yeah, it probably was BS, I read it on wikipedia. Just wanted to make sure.
Thanks, guys.
Quote by naedauuf
The hell? The strings will affect your tone, but nowhere near an audible level, unless your retarded over your tone it doesn't matter which strings you use. The gauge of the strings affect your tone slightly. Other then that it's pretty much all about feel with strings..

That's not really true. On the clean channel, string brands can be noticeably different, especially with EMGs. On my BC Rich ST-III using the clean channel, I used to use Ernie Ball gauge .10 strings. I now use D'Addario gauge .10, and they sound much brighter than the Ernie Ball strings. String brand DOES make a difference.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
If you watch the video I posted you'll see how much string brand will make a difference. I've used EB's for a while now, in all my guitars I just prefer them. Its a personal opinion. With EMG's cause they are pretty sensitive everything is magnified, and a sh*tty rig will sound even sh*ttier. Maybe thats why they get bashed so much, I dunno. I think the other reason is people turn everything to 11, especially the gain then wonder why their tone sucks.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i doubt theres any major difference. i use D'Addarios on my hellraiser. and i believe they're .10's. sounds good to me. i mean if you use cheap brand strings then you might notice a slight difference. and maybe a diff depending on the gauge of string.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by Justice4AllOne
That's not really true. On the clean channel, string brands can be noticeably different, especially with EMGs. On my BC Rich ST-III using the clean channel, I used to use Ernie Ball gauge .10 strings. I now use D'Addario gauge .10, and they sound much brighter than the Ernie Ball strings. String brand DOES make a difference.

I never said they don't do anything, but they don't do much to warrant me to stop buying the strings I find most comfortable to get some that have an extremely slight more brightness. When it comes to strings, feel outweighs anything else.