A poll specifically for atheists who believe marriage to have religious undertones

Poll: Which? (see OP)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which? (see OP)
Option 1
15 24%
Option 2
18 29%
I don't believe marriage to be a religious institution, or I am religious myself.
29 47%
Voters: 62.
Page 1 of 2
Important edit!

I'm aware of civil marriage (administered by a registrar rather than clergy, with no religion involved). This isn't enough seperation for us to deem it truly seperate from religion, as so many christians weigh in saying they own it. It's a debate we'd rather avoid.

I'm not trying to fuel a debate here about whether marriage is or isn't religious. Hence the thread title. If you don't understand or agree with the premise of this thread then don't take part!

----

Me and partner are atheists, and are almost certain to live our lives together (touch wood ).

And in discussion we've come up with quite an interesting debate.

Is it better to:

1) Avoid marriage, so as to help make it less popular, and press for civil unions to be extended to heterosexual couples. Basically distance ourselves from religion.

2) Marry, so as to dillute the pool of married couples sufficiently with atheists that all connections between marriage and religion are lost..
Last edited by Stormx at Jan 1, 2010,
infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Neither of those will work. It will take much more than one couple to make any sort of change.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
marraige doesnt have to be religious....

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]

do whatever you want, it's your life, why are you asking the pit on something as important as marriage.
You can have unreligious weddings? I thought?

I'm an atheist and I wanna get married one day, but in an unholy way
You can just go to those office things and have a marriage there you know. It doesn't HAVE to be in a church, or religious for that matter.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I'm pretty sure that if I had a non-religious wedding, not one person on my mom's side of the family would attend.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by §ArmyofAngels§
Neither of those will work. It will take much more than one couple to make any sort of change.

Bit like a single person bothering to vote in a democracy.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I'm aware that you can get a civil marriage, with no talk of God or anything like that. Just a register office. To her, that isn't enough to distance her from marriage, as for her simply the claims of ownership from The Church et cetera are enough of a connection.
Marriage is "unreligious" where I come from.

Silly Americans.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
hello
i know it said "only atheists" and i am not one but i have two things

1) I am interested to learn and understand someones reason for becoming atheist, and i dont mean that i think its stupid, i believe everyone can do what they please, i would just like to know some reasoning behind the decision

2) I also think you should go with option 2
So...TS, can't you keep your own rage at religion from ruining others' marriage happiness? Or maybe you just are nosy like all my fellow Americans? Mind your own damn business and quit trying to break a decent system! Fucking A! If it bothers you so damn much, find a Justice of the Peace. Why do people not think of this shit before being all nosy and trying to break the system? Not as if you're one thing'll do shit to a system like that.

Edit: Poll Option 3 is heavily biased & rather demeaning considering most Atheists find non-Atheists to be somewhat less intelligent than themselves. And don't bother arguing they don't. Please change it. Split it into 2 separate options. One doesn't have to be both, nor does one have be either/or.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by Stormx
Me and partner are atheists, and are almost certain to live our lives together (touch wood )

your partner must be lucky since the thought of spending the rest of your life with her alone makes you wanna touch your wood

I don't really think that organized religion is gonna be all that impressed by any of those options, especially the "not getting married" one

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think when discussing something as important as the person you'll spend the rest of your life with, I think you should think about what will make you and your partner happy first, and worry about families or sending a message second.

If you or he (or you or she - I have no idea what sex you are) want a service, then get one. It's like having a Christmas tree - having one doesn't make Christmas better, and lacking one doesn't make your Christmas worse. But most families have a Christmas tree, or have a wedding ceremony, because it's just what you do in this country.

If you're not the sort of couple that feels the need to do 'what you're supposed to do', then don't sweat it. It's just a symbol.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
So...TS, can't you keep your own rage at religion from ruining others' marriage happiness?]Or maybe you just are nosy like all my fellow Americans? Mind your own damn business and quit trying to break a decent system! Fucking A! If it bothers you so damn much, find a Justice of the Peace. Why do people not think of this shit before being all nosy and trying to break the system? Not as if you're one thing'll do shit to a system like that.

Edit: Poll Option 3 is heavily biased & rather demeaning considering most Atheists find non-Atheists to be somewhat less intelligent than themselves. And don't bother arguing they don't. Please change it. Split it into 2 separate options. One doesn't have to be both, nor does one have be either/or.

*sigh*. Okay, let's address your points.

1) I never expressed any rage. I find it hard to get worked up about these sorts of things
2) How am I being nosy? I'm just curious to others opinions, like thousands of other TSs across this forum...
3) If this thread infringes on your marrital happiness then I apologise. I didn't realise I could break up couples with such an innocent question
4) I'm not breaking any systems. I'd imagine thousands of people have thought of this question before and picked one way or the other. I want to see what the consensus is
5) I appreciate also that on its own this act will have no bearing, but you can't live an unprincipled life because you cba.
6) Poll option 3 is not biased. That's an "OR" in there, not an "AND". Would you prefer an XOR, or maybe the poll expressed in some form of propositional logic?
Policymakers and the public seem to think that the marriage is defined by the bible, and is therefore a religious institution (and therefore shouldn't be corrupted by the inclusion of queerosexuals). So the government should be extending civil unions to all consenting adult couples, and leave marriage as something entirely separate that's solely the domain of religious tradition.

So I voted 1.
Wait a minute: I've GOT IT!!!

Think about it: if there's ONE WAY to piss religious people off it's getting married to another person of the same gender. So what if you marry, let's say, your best male friend just for the heck of it (you don't have to live with him or anything, you'd just have to contact him every time you fill out a tax form and such) and ask your girlfriend to marry any female friend of hers. If the idea catches on it could spark a chain of same-sex marriages in all the places where it's legal

Hell, I bet we could eventually outnumber the number of people that are married by church (especially since there's no reason to get divorced from a person you're not even living with). And if you eventually DO decide to marry your real partner you could just get divorced

Somebody needs to make a website...

/] 三方 [\
I really don't like young people..
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by In The Mist
I think TS just made this thread to wave his atheist dick around.

I made this thread to ask a serious question, and it seems to be pretty close amongst those who can get past the "OMG there's a debate PASTT whether gays should get married?!" barrier, at 7:9.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
why cant atheists leave religion alone
if you dont like it
dont worship it

This. Seriously.
Quote by shwilly
Wait a minute: I've GOT IT!!!

Think about it: if there's ONE WAY to piss religious people off it's getting married to another person of the same gender. So what if you marry, let's say, your best male friend just for the heck of it (you don't have to live with him or anything, you'd just have to contact him every time you fill out a tax form and such) and ask your girlfriend to marry any female friend of hers. If the idea catches on it could spark a chain of same-sex marriages in all the places where it's legal

Hell, I bet we could eventually outnumber the number of people that are married by church (especially since there's no reason to get divorced from a person you're not even living with). And if you eventually DO decide to marry your real partner you could just get divorced

Somebody needs to make a website...

Fantastic idea, unless your "friend" decides they want something out of the divorce settlement, and they wind up owning half your stuff and receiving an alimony check every month. Totally worth it to piss off those fundies though, right?
I'd go with option 1.

However you're analysis of marriage as a wholly religous institution is severly lacking. There are also elements of the cultural opression of women and of bourgeois societal relations. The nuclear family acts as a convenient economic unit for the accumulation of private property through inheritance.
Quote by thebaron1066
This. Seriously.

If you read OP that's exactly what I'm considering doing.
There's civil marriage if you aren't religious.

I personally don't believe in marriage.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
if you dont like it
dont worship it

athiests arent people who dont like religion, theyre people who dont believe in a religion....

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by Stormx

Change your avatar.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by EMGs_rule
athiests arent people who dont like religion, theyre people who dont believe in a religion....

im aware of what they are
im an atheist
but i dont go waving the "PISS OFF THE RELIGION" flag

If youre an atheist
just stop dealing with religion
if people getting married gets you butthurt enough to do something stupid then youve got bigger issues to deal with
Quote by Stormx

Yes, but you are also considering "polluting the pool of married couples with atheists so that all connections between marriage and religion are lost".

If you don't want to have a religious ceremony then thats awesome, fundamentally marriage is just an expression of love between two people, but why try to change it for people who see it as more?
Quote by g5014
1) I am interested to learn and understand someones reason for becoming atheist, and i dont mean that i think its stupid, i believe everyone can do what they please, i would just like to know some reasoning behind the decision

People don't become atheist, they become religious. I have always been an atheist.

And I have no idea. I don't intend to get married in a religious or civil ceremony.

Quote by BlitzkriegAir
if you dont like it
dont worship it

Religion is not above criticism. I criticise a lot of things, I don't see a reason to make an exception for religion. If anything I see a reason to focus special attention on it, I find it particularly annoying.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by Stormx
I made this thread to ask a serious question, and it seems to be pretty close amongst those who can get past the "OMG there's a debate PASTT whether gays should get married?!" barrier, at 7:9.

But you posted in a way that stated that the ultimate goal of your marriage was to completely separate any connections between marriage and religion in the public's eye. It's as if that's what everything you do is all about. "What's worse for religious people?" Besides, You asked a question on an important issue in the pit. Nobody does that unless they want to flaunt their position on said issue.
Quote by DeusExMachina90
Fantastic idea, unless your "friend" decides they want something out of the divorce settlement, and they wind up owning half your stuff and receiving an alimony check every month. Totally worth it to piss off those fundies though, right?

Oh don't you roll your eyes at me mister, ever heard of prenuptial agreements and... stuff

I'm sure there's lots of holes in my plan, but that ain't one of them

/] 三方 [\
Quote by shwilly
Oh don't you roll your eyes at me mister, ever heard of prenuptial agreements and... stuff

I'm sure there's lots of holes in my plan, but that ain't one of them

Prenup agreements aren't valid in all countries. Not in the UK anyway, I figure they aren't in other countries too.

Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 2