Okay, so I've looking to get a new guitar, and while I'm not partial to any particular brands, I am fairly picky. I'm looking for a high end 6 string guitar capable of playing a variety of rock, mainly metal. I need it to have a whammy bar, but it cannot have a Floyd rose as it kills me to set one up. I want it to play well when not distorted as I love playing in a melodic metal like style.

I also want what everyone typically asks for in a guitar: low action, good tone etc... But I don't really want much a fancy looking guitar as I want most of my money to go into what really matters in a quality axe. So as I said, open to any brand and all suggestions are appreciated
Last edited by omgiplayguitar at Jan 1, 2010,
I'd look for a nice, used American PRS. You might could find a used Custom/CE 22/24 for that price, maybe with a trem. (por ejemplo: http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-PRS-CE24-Whale-Blue-in-Excellent-Condition_W0QQitemZ160390198258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item25580033f2 )

Maybe an Ibanez S series? Those usually have Floyds on them, but there may be a hardtail/non-locking trem model out there.

Maybe a used Music Man John Petrucci sig?
Last edited by Flying Couch at Jan 1, 2010,
why can't it have a floyd rose? what kills you about it exactly.. cause to stay in tune especially if your playing metal yeh need that locking nut

i'd suggest a prs paul allender signature
well...$1200 is a very nice budget, so you should probably go to a store and start trying everything, there's not too much above $1200 (there actually is, but it is overpriced most of the times), so just choose what you like.

If you want some guideline or something... Ibanez, Jackson, ESP/LTD, Schecter, BC Rich (try them ONLY if they are above $600 or $700), all of those brands are good for metal, and sometimes they are also very versatile, just find what suits you better.

Oh, and by the way, only because those brands I mentioned before are better suited for metal, it doesn't mean you should leave aside the good ol' Fender, some HSS Fenders can do metal just fine, and are top-quality.

Cheers
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
Quote by MetalGuitarest
why can't it have a floyd rose? what kills you about it exactly.. cause to stay in tune especially if your playing metal yeh need that locking nut

i'd suggest a prs paul allender signature

well I change timings ALOT and I don't think it's with the hassle if I just want a quick dop tuning change. I'll look into that prs =)
If you know what you want then I'd suggest you check out Warmoth you might be able to put a guitar together for under $1200 and enjoy the ****er. If you don't mind going used then perhaps this would get you interested http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-American-Stratocaster-Deluxe-FMT-HSS-USA-Strat_W0QQitemZ320469015989QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4a9d711db5#ht_500wt_1182