Hi guys, wonder if you could help.

I've recently brought a Fender Stratocaster USA (well, given) and now believe i should begin the saving of a new amp. I was thinking head and cab. Although many seem expensive and make me want to just keep my amp that i have.

So your question:
What amp (head and cab) is a good make, well built, nice sound which is as cheap as possible?

I've heard Marshalls fit this bill but, i like the look of a Fender or maybe a Peavey or even another Vox. Basicly, im lost, help me out!

Thanks guys

Guitar:
Gibson Les Paul Studio (Goldy)
Fender American Stratocaster (Blacky)

Amplifier:
Orange Dual Terror Head W/ Orange 1 x 12 Cab
Vox Valvetronix VT30

Pedals/Extras:
BOSS ME-70
BOSS Micro BR

Youtube: DaveTheOriginal
What music do you play/want to play?

Do you have a budget?

Where do you live?

Do you gig/play at home/both?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Why in particular do you want a stack?
also music style? price range?
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
If you want versatility, look up Randall's MTS series. Most versatile amp ever made, bar none.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by justinb904
Why in particular do you want a stack?
also music style? price range?

Quote by Chrisiphone
What music do you play/want to play?

Do you have a budget?

Where do you live?

Do you gig/play at home/both?

Thanks guys. I play blues/rock/heavy rock. I suppose similar interests to Gary moore, Eric Clapton although Metallica is always there.

My budget is none as such but cheap as possible. If you just give mewhat you think i can check it out and decide

I do both. Hopefully begin gigging soon.

Cheers Guyss

Guitar:
Gibson Les Paul Studio (Goldy)
Fender American Stratocaster (Blacky)

Amplifier:
Orange Dual Terror Head W/ Orange 1 x 12 Cab
Vox Valvetronix VT30

Pedals/Extras:
BOSS ME-70
BOSS Micro BR

Youtube: DaveTheOriginal
if you don't need too much versatility, this head is great:

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/

with an overdrive pedal as a boost, i can hit 80s metal (especially if i use two boosts ) with it. I would add, though, that I use humbuckers, and your guitars seem to have single coils- that's going to lower the gain a bit.

It is a clone of a marshall 18 watter, though, so it does tend to sound like a marshall most of the time (though it's not a million miles off a voxy tone, either), and it doesn't have a ton of headroom. the tone is awesome, though.

if you can find somewhere where you can try the marshall 1974x (the normal, non-tremolo channel of it), that'd give you a fair idea of what it sounds like. Bear in mind, though, you'd have to crank it up to get distortion (and that's another reason why the valvepower is more versatile than the marshall version, it has powerscaling so you can get a cranked-up sound at low volumes).

the cab would be up to you- you should be able to get a decent 2x12 cab for around £200-£300 or so, i'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 1, 2010,
A real max budget would really help us, but as long as we have no budget I'd get a Splawn Superstock
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Blackheart Handsome Devil sounds like a great option for you, it will need a boost to be able to do metallica though.

Other amps that could work

Blackstar Ht-5
Vox Nighttrain
Orange tinyterror
Egnater Rebel 20
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey valveking
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
maybe a bugera v55 or v22
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Quote by Dave_Mc

with an overdrive pedal as a boost, i can hit 80s metal (especially if i use two boosts ) with it. I would add, though, that I use humbuckers, and your guitars seem to have single coils- that's going to lower the gain a bit.

It is a clone of a marshall 18 watter, though, so it does tend to sound like a marshall most of the time (though it's not a million miles off a voxy tone, either), and it doesn't have a ton of headroom. the tone is awesome, though.

if you can find somewhere where you can try the marshall 1974x (the normal, non-tremolo channel of it), that'd give you a fair idea of what it sounds like. Bear in mind, though, you'd have to crank it up to get distortion (and that's another reason why the valvepower is more versatile than the marshall version, it has powerscaling so you can get a cranked-up sound at low volumes).

the cab would be up to you- you should be able to get a decent 2x12 cab for around £200-£300 or so, i'd have thought.
Abso-bloody-lutely.

A firm favourite around here, and with good reason. I gig three nights a week with an almost identical amp, playing the sort of stuff you like, and it's perfect.
Jet City JCA20H and the matched cab would work well for you, although you may need a boost and/or overdrive pedal to get into Metallica territory.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by lkngro
Jet City JCA20H and the matched cab would work well for you, although you may need a boost and/or overdrive pedal to get into Metallica territory.

+ 1000000

The Jet City amps are fantastical. Correct about the need for a boost as well. Nonetheless, an amazing tube stack for the price.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by DaveTheOriginal
Thanks guys. I play blues/rock/heavy rock. I suppose similar interests to Gary moore, Eric Clapton although Metallica is always there.

My budget is none as such but cheap as possible. If you just give mewhat you think i can check it out and decide

I do both. Hopefully begin gigging soon.

OK, you're going to have to think tradeoffs here - if you want a head that does cleans or mild OD up through metalica, and sounds really good doing it, and that is top-notch reliable, you're looking at a lot of expensive amps. If the amp needs to be able to do all that at the touch of a footswitch (no nob turning to get different tones) then it's even worse. Stuff like Bogner Ecstacys, Soldano SLOs and Lucky 13s, Splawns, CAE OD100s, and so on. All are easily four figures, even used.

If you don't want to spend that much, then you need to think about what you're willing to give up. Are cleans not a big deal? Then maybe a Peavy 5150/6505 would work. Willing to give up the high gain? Maybe a non-MV marshall head and a pedal would work. Don't give a shit about reliability? Then buy a Bugera. Willing to spend a half hour turning knobs and changing tubes to dial in each sound? Think THD Flexi. Don't really care about the nuances of tone? Then get a POD and however much mosfet power amp you think you'll need.

Only you can decide what tradeoffs if any you're willing to make to bring the price down.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
You might want to have a look at the Laney VH100R. Of course the ubiquitous Marshall JCM800 (or even 900) shouldn't be discounted either.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dave_Mc

+1203453, These are really great amps especially for classic rock!!!
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
cheers, jak and kyle

even bigger d makes a very good point, too

that jet city might be worth a try, too- i haven't tried it, but the soundclips i've heard have been fairly good, and they were flavour of the month over at HC a while ago (though i'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?