Quote by RandomJahLove
It won't damage anything but no guarantees it'll sound any resemblance of good.

If I'm not mistaken, Mark Stoermer (bassist from the Killers) uses one of these live (I think it's more for older songs), and it sounds pretty decent actually, I guess it's mucking around a bit with the pedal and trying to find a decent tone...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

I use one. It can sound a bit harsh at first, but mess around with it to get the kind of sound you want. Mine is set up with the Tone knob set all the way down, and the Distortion knob all the way up. It depends for the Level knob, as that's basically a volume control. It will suck some of your low end, but that's to be expected with any pedal that's meant for guitar.

When I'm playing I switch it on usually just for solo's or breaks, when the guitars stop playing. I've also messed around with adding my chorus, delay, and flanger to it. I've gotten some pretty cool, synth-ish sounds doing that. My favorite combonation is DS-1, delay, and chorus, while playing in the upper octave of my G string. It sounds like a string orchestra.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
It won't damage your gear at all but you'll lose your low end(as with most guitar pedals) and some mids, it still sounds somewhat good alone but if your playing with a metal guitarist, you'll disappear.

I own one and I can get a pretty good tone out of it by running my bass through my Chorus pedal(which has a stereo and mono output) and running the mono output through my main amp and the stereo output through the DS-1 and then to my old practice amp. It hasn't done any harm so far but will this damage any of my equipment in the longrun?
It won't damage anything at all.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
Like other people have said: It won't damage anything, but it will suck a bit of your low end. As with using any guitar pedal with a bass, you have to do alot of tweaking.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
if you can set up an AB on both sides, so there is a clean signal bypassing the DS-1, it will sound much, much better.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by poipoi
If I'm not mistaken, Mark Stoermer (bassist from the Killers) uses one of these live (I think it's more for older songs), and it sounds pretty decent actually, I guess it's mucking around a bit with the pedal and trying to find a decent tone...

Marrk Stoermer uses a BD-1 (Still a guitar pedal) I think, along with a GEB-7 to 'take out some of the treble' in his words. That and he bi-amps, and has the people behind the mixing desk to fiddle with it to make it sound bassy enough. Using a DS-1 through a single amp on anything past 9 o' clock on the distortion setting will take a significant amount of low end out of your signal, making it effectively useless in all band situations. That and the fact that it's voiced for guitar, meaning it simply isn't made for bass, and therefore will be much harder to get a good sound out ofit. It'll be OK if your just wanting to learn hysteria, around the world and whatever other songs with some fuzz/OD/Dist at home, but to play in a band just look for a cheapish bass OD/Fuzz. I'd recommend a Bass Big Muff, Boss ODB-3 or a Digitech Bass Driver. I won't link any places for them because
a) This topic has been done many a time, you should have searched
b) I don't know what country you are from
c) You probably won't read this anyway
No it won't hurt anything, but I've tried it and it sounds terrible.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
^ or, get a blend knob installed.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've said it before and i'll say it again. I run with one on my pedal board, but i ALWAYS run it with an EQ to cut some of the treble (actually thinking of buying a Boss EQ, and tying the two damn pedals together so it's one press...). To my knowledge, Chris from Muse used to use one with an EQ as well.

And FYI, with a little tinkering, It sounds sweet!

*Disclaimer* I do only run it on one channel in a stereo set up though, kind of like a bi- amp i guess.
Quote by DPinky
I've said it before and i'll say it again. I run with one on my pedal board, but i ALWAYS run it with an EQ to cut some of the treble (actually thinking of buying a Boss EQ, and tying the two damn pedals together so it's one press...). To my knowledge, Chris from Muse used to use one with an EQ as well.

And FYI, with a little tinkering, It sounds sweet!

*Disclaimer* I do only run it on one channel in a stereo set up though, kind of like a bi- amp i guess.

I forgot to mention that. I don't have an eq pedal, but i usually cut the treble on the eq on my amp.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
I tried it and I actually really liked it, then again, I was kind of manipulating the situation (with a Big Bass Muff, I put the DS-1 on the "dry" signal and then combined the wet BBM and wet DS-1 with an ABY. Also, the wet from the BBM is actually two signals in one feed, the muff and the still dry signal. This means my three signals combined into one was great. I used the DS-1 for some higher grit and the BBM for lower muff)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....