Hey guys,
I'm really stoaked with how this one came out. I decided to throw in some really heavy passages for contrast and because I've always wanted to do some good ones. So let me know what you think. As always C4c

Thanks,
Nick

www.myspace.com/nickmarcone its called "mark the map"
Last edited by Nickm13 at Jan 1, 2010,
Hey nick... all i can say is man.... Beautiful music man unbelievable that is only you??! your voice is so trained and serene... why heavent you been signed?!... well crit on the song i like the mellow heavy arrangement... i like the lyrics pretty catchy... love all the music!
crit mine if u have time

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254652

we should collab someday...

-SikMind
OneLove
i really enjoy that riff. very pretty. i feel llike the voice could have a tad more reverb on it. i like the distorted part that comes in. guitar is a little low in the mix. the switch to double time was a nice touch. this really reminds me of porcupine tree...i think that overall the mix could be a little more bright, this is a tad too bassy for my taste. if you eqed more highs and mids it would pop more. zomg epic vocals on the "mark the map part" wow. the screams are pretty cool, although they're not really my style. i like how you incorporate soft and heavy elements to this.

crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254556
Too cool for a signature.
Hey man, awesome song! I really enjoyed it! =D

Anyway, here's what I got from listening through a few times:

Opening riff - pretty cool. I like the kinda rough sound to the guitar, especially in the fret noise. I think it works.

Vocals at 0:13 sound sweeeeeeet. Quite reminiscent of Steve Wilson. And I love the ocean noises (pretty sure that's what that is) around 0:24.

Not sure how I feel about the drum lead in at 0:28. I think it sounds a little out of place just because it starts and stops so abruptly. Love the chugging lick and the riff that follows though! The riff that starts at 0:43 is awesome! I didn't want it to end!! lol

Ok, so the first verse sounds pretty good I think. I like your little wavery vocal lead up at 1:08 and again later. Actually I liked it even more the second time! =P

That little background riff at 1:16.. did the recording overdrive or something? I think the tone on that sounds kinda off. Also, I initially didn't like the guitar riff in the second half of the verse, but after listening more I'm more ok with it. Though again.. at like 1:31 it's that tone again!! lol

Scream at 1:41 is sick dude! This whole section up to the chorus sounds really good imo. And omg at 2:07 in the lead up to the chorus is the wavery vocal thing! I love it!

I like the chorus. The vocals sound good (catchy without being too poppy) and I also like the bass part in there. 'Nuff said.

Also, the build-up bridge section at 2:33 sounds cool. Again nice bass part in there. And the drum track you chose works well as well I think.

3:06 vocal entrance - you already know how I feel about that. =) And again, the chorus sounds cool.

The softer part at 3:33 also sounds good. I can't tell and it's driving me a little crazy, but do you have less reverb on your voice here than in the intro? I suppose it doesn't hugely matter, but I keep changing my mind each time I listen.. =P Also, I couldn't figure out if the thing you have in the background there is a bass or just a bassy-guitar. Either way I think it has some good potential to be a sweet melodic bass line, but the tone doesn't really do it for me. Maybe try something a little more... growly? You have BTBAM as one of your influences, so think of the bass sound in the middle section of Mirrors, for instance. I think that sort of tone would work well here.

The solo is pretty cool as well. Especially from 3:57 to around 4:09 or 4:10 or so. After that until around 4:17, I think you could try for something a little more interesting rhythmically. Then, from the end of the solo and the outro sound cool.

So there it is. It's an awesome song, dude. Keep up the good work!! I enjoyed this piece more than the VAST majority of myspace stuff I've heard.
Thanks very much, there, Alex!
And yes...in the beginning of the soft bridge section, I used less reverb. I was going for more of a vocal centric aesthetic for that bit, and im happy you noticed haha.
I'm working on a full on BTBAM meets Killswitch kind of song. I hope you can hear it and let me know what you think! And you need to cook you up something for me to hear as well so i feel like I'm giving back for your dank crits. =]
Dude, ok first I gotta say I was singing a song today and then I realized it was the chorus of Mark the Map. So yeah, I'd say it's catchy. =)

OK yeah, I'm not crazy then.. lol. And awesome, can't wait to hear the BTBAM/Killswitch monster. I'll be looking forward to it.

I wish I could cook something up, but right now all I have is a bass and my Dad's acoustic but no decent mic to record things with so I'm not sure how much I could cook up.. lol But don't worry, you're giving back enough by creating music. I've listened to some other stuff on your profile and I think it sounds good. Keep it up!
Wow...

I was expecting something else when I open your page... Not really a trained ear to spot anything wrong with your vocals so I cant comment on that...

Music... I love the way the song builds up and I love the ending solo dude...

Nice clean mixing.. which I envy so much

Crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239070
Oh and alex. the fuzzy or overdriven tone you're hearing in the verse is part of my bass tone. I implement a half volume octave harmony (1 oct up). For the chunkier bits it really gives the guitar section a beefy ass, I think. Just adds something haha. I guess some folks won't like it. But I started using it on the song 'beauty in the contrast' where it is used heavily. Sorry, but I just figured out what you were asking about!
Quote by Nickm13
Oh and alex. the fuzzy or overdriven tone you're hearing in the verse is part of my bass tone. I implement a half volume octave harmony (1 oct up). For the chunkier bits it really gives the guitar section a beefy ass, I think. Just adds something haha. I guess some folks won't like it. But I started using it on the song 'beauty in the contrast' where it is used heavily. Sorry, but I just figured out what you were asking about!

Ah, ok. Well yeah, by all means to each his own. =) Still a kick-ass song.