When they usually play fast like going from the high e string down to the low e string in a scale or the other way do they speed pick as the go through the scale or does every note in the scale get one pick each?

EDIT: And when they play those fast licks that usually repeat a few times is it speed picking or does every note get one pick?
Last edited by bobthebum16 at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by bobthebum16
When they usually play fast like going from the high e string down to the low e string in a scale or the other way do they speed pick as the go through the scale or does every note in the scale get one pick each?

EDIT: And when they play those fast licks that usually repeat a few times is it speed picking or does every note get one pick?

There is no rule but the idea of being able to shred is that you have sufficient control over your technique to choose what notes to play how many times and at what speed you play.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There is no rule but the idea of being able to shred is that you have sufficient control over your technique to choose what notes to play how many times and at what speed you play.

yea i think of shredding as picking every note, though there are players out there that dont and still rock.
Depends on the guitarist and the song. Most of the guitar gods (like Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Lane, Gilbert, etc.) pick every note. Personally I hate people who use speed picking. They just pick as fast as they can and hope they hit the notes.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
hahaha
Tremolo picking + trying to finger a scale =/= shred guitar

Shred is based on two things: accuracy and technique. If you can play a lick at 1 note-per-second cleanly, you have the capacity and the potential to play it at 12 notes-per-second. Shredding is simply playing passages at very fast tempos; generally, the ones we revere are the ones who can consistently play those passages cleanly and accurately.
If by "speed picking" you mean a tensed uncontrolled flurry of rapidly-fired pickstrokes that do not necessarily connect properly with your fretting hand, then no, you should not do that. All "shred" is is controlled playing at high speeds. The second you lose control, there is nothing "shred" or great about your playing.

Speed picking is no different than slow/normal-speed picking. Or at least it shouldn't be, technique-wise. Don't think you're supposed to play any differently when you play quickly.
Lots of German thrashers used (and still use) tremolo picking for solos instead of one-note-per-pick and it still sounds good.
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Behringer UM 300 distortion pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by Junior#1
Depends on the guitarist and the song. Most of the guitar gods (like Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Lane, Gilbert, etc.) pick every note. Personally I hate people who use speed picking. They just pick as fast as they can and hope they hit the notes.

no
Quote by fixationdarknes
If by "speed picking" you mean a tensed uncontrolled flurry of rapidly-fired pickstrokes that do not necessarily connect properly with your fretting hand, then no, you should not do that. All "shred" is is controlled playing at high speeds. The second you lose control, there is nothing "shred" or great about your playing.

Speed picking is no different than slow/normal-speed picking. Or at least it shouldn't be, technique-wise. Don't think you're supposed to play any differently when you play quickly.

I'm 100% agreed with this guy.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by WishfulShredder
no

Ok I guess technically you're right. They use legato and taps and stuff too, but I was just meaning that for fast parts where they do pick all the notes, they don't just pick super fast and hope they get it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Quote by Junior#1
Ok I guess technically you're right. They use legato and taps and stuff too, but I was just meaning that for fast parts where they do pick all the notes, they don't just pick super fast and hope they get it.

no,
satriani=/=picking every note

satriani=Legato/Tapping

Flying in a blue dream is prime example.

I can't find one song of his where he picks every not.
Quote by JosephVincent
no,
satriani=/=picking every note

satriani=Legato/Tapping

Flying in a blue dream is prime example.

I can't find one song of his where he picks every not.

True enough, but I just threw out some names. I'm sure if Satch did play a very difficult and fast passage where he did pick all the notes, he would always be in control of how and what he is picking. He wouldn't just do a mess of tremolo picking.
Quote by Geldin