Im a guitar player that plays ocasionally, i've been trying to improve my skills , and i think the way to do that is learn the most essencial Scales so i can be able to improv. So what are the most essencial Scales a player should learn ? tell me the most important ones please =)
Gear :Squier + Vypyr 15W / UCG102 + Picks = Awesomeness !
Quote by ricardo_sousa11
Im a guitar player that plays ocasionally, i've been trying to improve my skills , and i think the way to do that is learn the most essencial Scales so i can be able to improv. So what are the most essencial Scales a player should learn ? tell me the most important ones please =)

Major and Natural Minor Scales.

Pentatonic Scales

Blues scales.
Quote by Sean0913
Major and Natural Minor Scales.

Pentatonic Scales

Blues scales.

Yup, and all of them in about 3 positions, too, including 3 notes per string. Practice them going up one, then down another. After you've mastered that, change between them, i.e. start in one on the 6th string, then on the 5th string slide to the other, and build up string by string. Please let me know if thats not as clear as I think it is. :P

EDIT: Oh yes, look into the 'CAGED' system too. Basically its sets of scale shapes based on the open chords, so you get the C shape, the A shape, the D shape, etc. etc. Confusing at first, and annoying to memorise them all, but useful

Then you've got PLENTY to play with whilst improvising!
I would rather be flawed and wise, than perfect and blind.
Last edited by Ravenix at Jan 1, 2010,
Major and minor would be the correct answer. If you don't have a solid understanding of these scales then you will not understand modes.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.