Economy picking is damn tricky like. Mostly in my case it's just getting my brain to kick in and start telling my fingers what to do, instead of instinctively alternate picking. ><

For me personally, I'm trying to play faster atm and it's sooo annoying because the only way to do it is start off real slow and build up and build up. It's boring as hell but its the only way! I'm getting better though! XD
I would rather be flawed and wise, than perfect and blind.
Improv solo over a chord progression I've never heard before that has key changes. Hard as fuck but you look like a master if you can pull it off. Minimalism is an excellent trait to have.
Quote by bluecrayon123
soloing with key changes

Oooofff yeah, I remember when I started doing that, its so hard to listen AND play at first. You'll get the hang of it though!
I would rather be flawed and wise, than perfect and blind.
Last edited by Ravenix at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by guitarman161
Whats the hardest thing for you to do on the guitar ?!! I think it`s definitly economy picking

Not just for me, but one of the most difficult and advanced concepts, I think is the ability to take any progression and solo off the chord tones and changes, and make it sound connected, and then to skillfully and tastefully blend passing notes, bebop approaches and chromaticism in a way that keeps it melodic and interesting.

That and to skillfully sightread/play.
Quote by Avedas
Improv solo over a chord progression I've never heard before that has key changes. Hard as fuck but you look like a master if you can pull it off. Minimalism is an excellent trait to have.

Minimalism is relevant to that how?

For me it would be playing anything over sixtuplets at 135 bpm
Sweeps with 3 string finger rolls.
Economy picking (i haven't tried this but i use strict alternate atm so i'd say it would be damn hard for me)

Some funk strumming patterns I can't do too.
Quote by griffRG7321
Minimalism is relevant to that how?

By simplifying complex ideas you can make difficult things easier which promotes faster growth when learning new stuff? Seems pretty logical to me.
Well, I play mostly blues, so I'd have to say making the 12 bar blues and the minor pentatonic sound original.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Well, I play mostly blues, so I'd have to say making the 12 bar blues and the minor pentatonic sound original.

Yeah, minor pentatonic sounds so overused once you play with it for a while.