So I'm pretty good at palm muting I've played a lot of rhythm guitar and I have endurance but I just cannot play that fast with it. I know is a matter of practice, but when I get to something fast, I like to alt pick it. Obviously with songs like Crazy Train alt. picking is pretty much needed, but say on Master of Puppets, the very first part. I play it all on the low E string and alt pick it all. Sounds as clean as the original. Anything wrong?
if you're playing it and it sounds right, why would there be a problem?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Funny, on Master of Puppets and Crazy Train, I always downpick....

It's a personal preference; whichever feels right, or is easier. Like for me, downpicking is alot easier in certain cases. Now to you, it may not feel great; thus, it is your choice.
Last edited by EvilAngel93 at Jan 1, 2010,
Yeah I would alt pick anything. Its just how I play. Well thanks for the quick answers guys! I'll keep alt picking all I want then
Quote by EvilAngel93
Funny, on Master of Puppets and Crazy Train, I always downpick....

It's a personal preference; whichever feels right, or is easier. Like for me, downpicking is alot easier in certain cases. Now to you, it may not feel great; thus, it is your choice.

Those were both recorded with down picking. It's personal preference to a certain point. Down picking has a different sound.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
It's not wrong but it will have a different sound once your ear develops. You should work on your downpicking though if you're doing it because you can't downpick it. Personally I think it's more aggressive sounding but it's your choice if you want to alt pick everything like Tom Scholz or downpick everything like James Hetfield.