So I was jamming when I came across this pentatonic scale, containing these notes

A C# D E G#

In that order.

It sounds pretty neat, and I was wondering what scale it happened to be? Somebody please tell me?
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by ChucklesMginty
This belongs in Musician Talk really,

all those notes are contained in the A major scale.

The 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th degrees to be exact.

I didn't know what forum it belonged in

And I figured out the degrees after making this thread, but I wanted to know if it had a real name like Major, or Minor, or Diminished Superphyrigilocriadylian, something along the lines of that.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Last edited by JacobLampman at Jan 1, 2010,
I looked on a website and it said that it was C# Balinese.

If you add a B and an F#, then you come up with A major. Is that anywhere in the song?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Last edited by GoIrish668 at Jan 1, 2010,
The pentatonics are based off of their Major and minor counterparts.

Penta- means five. Five notes off a scale. So if you playin a Major Pentatonic you are playing five notes from the major scale and if you are playing the minor pentatonic you are playing five notes from your natural minor.
Quote by m3tal_R3dn3ck
The pentatonics are based off of their Major and minor counterparts.

Penta- means five. Five notes off a scale. So if you playin a Major Pentatonic you are playing five notes from the major scale and if you are playing the minor pentatonic you are playing five notes from your natural minor.

So this is just the Major Pentatonic?

lame.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by JacobLampman
So this is just the Major Pentatonic?

lame.

Lol, people look at music theory as rocket science and try to overthink it way to much.

Their are not that many scales that one needs to know to be considered a good player, basically just learn your seven modes and you will be able to master basically anything that has to do with scales.
This is NOT just the major pentatonic scale, or in fact any mode of the pentatonic scale. All intervals in the pentatonic scale are either a whole step, or one and a half steps. This has two different half step interval and thus can't be a pentatonic scale.

I would agree with those who say it's really just a decimated major scale with no other real theoretical implications. Not sure what, if anything, I would do with it. I can't see anything to be gained by harmonizing it, and I have a hard time imagining the harmony where it would constitute good note choice. If those 5 notes were treated as a chord they would be an Amaj7add11, which I have never seen in the wild so to speak.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jan 1, 2010,