So here is my dilemma. I match pitch extremely well, but I have a real problem when it comes to actually singing and creating pitch on my own. Is there any particular thing I could work on for this?

On a side note, I'm not really a singer but I have a decent voice and sing occasionally
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
But isn't that in the same vein as matching pitch?
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
What exactly is your problem? Are you trying to say that when you sing unaccompanied you sing out of tune? Are you trying to say that you can follow a melody exactly, but you can't sing a melody over a backing track that doesn't have the melody going?
Yes, that is the issue. Sorry if I explained poorly
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
I have the same problem when I'm singing new songs. I can listen to the song, and sing along perfectly and not miss a note, but when It comes to just me and my guitar, I have issues finding the notes.

It really just takes a lot of practice, and what I do is just sing the song over and over and over, with the track, then eventually it kind of comes naturally.
When you listen to the song, pay attention to what the guitar is doing, and how the vocals interact with that. Another thing you can do, is figure out what the first note is, and play that note on some instrument, to get the pitch in your head, and then you can just start singing and keep the melody right, and it will be good.
Quote by isaac_bandits
What exactly is your problem? Are you trying to say that when you sing unaccompanied you sing out of tune? Are you trying to say that you can follow a melody exactly, but you can't sing a melody over a backing track that doesn't have the melody going?

If you ment this (I understood diffrent from your first post), then all you need is a "note memory". You have to memorise all notes (how many?! 7?!!!? OMG!) so when you sing, for example, C, you'll sing it in tone with your memorised C. It works for me.
About songs - just sing along untill you memorise the pitch. Then try with your guitar.
Alright, thanks for the tips
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo