Hello all!
I have been playing with me m audio fw 410 for about a month now and I have been wondering for the entirety of this period why they dry signal is so quiet. If I were to plug my guitar into an input and adjust the gain so that my hardest note wont clip, I cant here anything through the headphones. Even if i turn the headphone gain up to max, I can only hear the signal quietly. I run my mics and my guitar through the m audio direct and into Guitar rig. Here, I get a louder sound through the headphones and a more malleable tone. I bought a tube preamp today, thinking that the signal would be increased. Instead, i got a warmer and better tone that I could still only hear through guitar rig. My question is am i supposed to be able to hear the dry signal, and how else can i hear my recordings without guitar rig? I know I sound like a moron, but I would greatly appreciate anyone willing to help out a novice. Thanks a ton,
Alex
Quote by Muphin
Maybe if the Jews were kind to Hitler the holocaust wouldn't have happened.

Hahaha
Is there a 'pad' switch on your interface? Is it engaged? If so, turn it off. That's just the first thing that came to mind, but I'm sure there are other possibilities. Check that first, though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Is there a 'pad' switch on your interface? Is it engaged? If so, turn it off. That's just the first thing that came to mind, but I'm sure there are other possibilities. Check that first, though.

I use pad with Guitar and Line instruments. I always set the gain to just below clipping though, and if i turned off the pad, Id have to put the gain at 0, and still hear clipping.
Quote by Muphin

Hahaha
So you want to hear the dry signal while recording? That's something you'd set up in the audio routing of your DAW and interface, I believe. My Mbox lets me mix the dry signal going in with the affected sound from the DAW so I can hear what's going on, so I'm not sure how to use any other interface in a similar way. Check the manuals!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Ahh kay. That makes my life alot easier thank you sir
Quote by Muphin

Hahaha