So... was thinking a few months ago about maybe building a guitar, not from scratch, but buying parts, sticking,soldering,screwing them together and making a new guitar. All my current guitars are humbuckers, so i was thinking maybe a tele or strat style guitar. Recently spurred on by the success of a friend doing this, ive decided to seriously look into it. Has anybody any experience or advice they could offer.
So far ive seen bodys and such on ebay...
like this...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRAT-TYPE-GUITAR-BODY-SOLID-ASH-FLAME-MAPLE-VENEER_W0QQitemZ230416146286QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item35a5df5f6e

although this is a totally blank body, I love the finish(or lack thereof) on it, and havent decided what colour, if any, i would like it to be finally. this is what puts me off buying a proper finished one in any colour. as for pups im not sure what way im gonna go about it, ill deal with that when i come to it.

Any advice would be excellent. thanks
I would suggest reading this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1189486 It's the GB&C Starter Pack v.1. Almost anything you want to know is in there.

Also, what you're looking for is called a 'kit build". Several good companies produce kits, including Guitar Fetish, dragonfire, BYOguitar, and Carvin. Carvin are the best by far, but they're all relatively comparable.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
much appreciated. ill give them a read now..
id sooner stay away from the kits.. ive had a look at them and i still think i could do it cheaper and get a similar result. plus i wanna learn as i do it and understand more about my instrument etc.
I could get a body and neck off ebay for maybe £60.. the one in that link above is 35 inc pp (obviously it could go up between now and the end) bridge,etc can, for the meantime be lifted off an old guitar i have (which isnt worth upgrading) but maybe theyll come to £20-30 then after that ive pickups which will probably be a bit more expensive, but im in no rush. I think i could do it for less than £200.. my friend did it for closer to £150 i think.
Ill post up any pics etc of whichever decision i do make.
any more advice would be excellent, cheers