will it hurt the finish? and if i have duct tape on it long term will there be any negitive effects?
There are like a thousand types of duct tape, and they're all different. In general, though, it won't hurt anything (short OR long term).

Oh, and over a long long term the finish will fade on your guitar due to sunlight and whatnot, then the duct tape will cover the parts up and it won't fade like the rest.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jan 1, 2010,
usually if you put duct tape on something long term it leaves that gross sticky residue when you try to pull it off (if you ever plan to pull it off) other than that I'm not too sure... maybe some discoloration from the adhesive?
Quote by DIFTWOOD
will it hurt the finish? and if i have duct tape on it long term will there be any negitive effects?

Mind if I ask why you're sticking duct tape on your guitar?
Quote by Gego
Mind if I ask why you're sticking duct tape on your guitar?

maybe he's too lazy to buy strap locks?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
i have duct tape on the points of my V because i hit shit all the time and its chipping.
Quote by randomhero93
maybe he's too lazy to buy strap locks?

but the hot pink duct tape would be sooo much better than strap locks
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Quote by Sid McCall
There are like a thousand types of duct tape, and they're all different. In general, though, it won't hurt anything (short OR long term).

this

plus it wud be wikked ghetto
Quote by The_Rooster
Dude its a guitar, not an nuclear weapon...... unless your Chuck Norris.

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3
in my experience, basically everything hurts the finish. Just to different degrees. having had a guitar with duct tape on it for a while then taking it off, once you get the residue off the finish actually holds up pretty well. Sweat and sunlight will do more damage than duct tape imo.