So, I have a friend. He is a mostly self taught acoustic player. (Every now and then he's able to get a lesson with random people, and he looks at some stuff online so he's somewhat decent.) Anyway, he wants to start learning to play electric. He does not have an electric, so he'll only be able to play every week or so, when I bring in my guitar to teach him. He's not looking to be an uber great electric guitarist, clearly, but just wants to start learning about them/getting comfortable with them.

So how do you think we should do this? We'll only have half an hour, an hour or two at most every week. Of course one of the main diffs between acoustic and electrics is with electrics you really have to watch out for string buzz and what you mute and stuff. I was thinking of starting with some power-chordy stuff? Then maybe some simple solos? Maybe to promote good technique, I could make sure his technique is right with not anchoring and finger placement and things? What are other important things I should hit on?
Quote by norwegianwood49
So, I have a friend. He is a mostly self taught acoustic player. (Every now and then he's able to get a lesson with random people, and he looks at some stuff online so he's somewhat decent.) Anyway, he wants to start learning to play electric. He does not have an electric, so he'll only be able to play every week or so, when I bring in my guitar to teach him. He's not looking to be an uber great electric guitarist, clearly, but just wants to start learning about them/getting comfortable with them.

So how do you think we should do this? We'll only have half an hour, an hour or two at most every week. Of course one of the main diffs between acoustic and electrics is with electrics you really have to watch out for string buzz and what you mute and stuff. I was thinking of starting with some power-chordy stuff? Then maybe some simple solos? Maybe to promote good technique, I could make sure his technique is right with not anchoring and finger placement and things? What are other important things I should hit on?

The first lesson I'd just let him do his thing, let him do the stuff he does on an acoustic on the electric, just to get used to the feel of it. After that learn him some easy power chord stuff like Iron Man, hell, you can even give him the tabs for it so he gets the movements down on his accoustic and let him practice on controling the distortion during the lessons you give him