I'm curious about what i can do to get a nice, solid post-hardcore/metalcore sound. For example, bands like A Day to Remember, August Burns Red, etc. What can i do equipment wise and/or equalizer and tone wise. What works for you guys?
Invest in a new amp
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Tone = amp
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Budget?
Willing to go used?

then i can work my magic
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by Nickster29
Can't exactly invest in a new amp at the moment :/

That's the only way to get a GOOD metalcore tone. A temporary fix would be to buy a high-gain pedal, but it's not going to sound too great through your Crate.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
well even with that amp it should be able to get something close, id suggest scooping your mids, so crank your bass to a point were its not farty, thats the best way to describe it. put your mids all the way off or just a tad, put your highs at about 8-10 and crank your gain

edit- it is still a crate so im not saying your going to have a great amazing guitar tone but this is in the realms of what you want
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Last edited by dertjoe at Jan 2, 2010,
You could just try getting an overdrive and a eq like the Digitech bad monkey and Danelectro fish and chips. Don't know if that will help but it should make your tone better

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Are you sure you can't afford a new amp? A Peavey Vypyr 30 would probably be able to do what you want.
If you can't justify a new amp, a good distortion pedal is your best bet. But ultimately, a better amp is gonna be the best long-term option. Besides, you want a nice amp to show what a nice guitar like that can do!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
what crate amp model is it? crate amps aren't THAT bad, i've played much worse. I happen to think that for the price crate amps sound nice.

my suggestion would be to use the lead/solo channel (whatever your amp calls it) and put the gain to about 5-6 and the shape around 5. Bass around 6-7, mids around 5, treble around 5-6. (assuming your crate amp has similar controls as my glx65 then this should give you a good start).
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Jan 2, 2010,
Maybe ill have to start looking into a new amp then lol, sounds like the best option. But ill try all of the other things too. Ill tweaking my settings and what not. My amp is a Crate VTX 121 B. It's not completely terrible lol. 120W, a pretty decent sound. Could be much better of course though
Sadly, the best thing you can do for your tone would be to invest in a new amp. You can play post-hardcore/metalcore through any amp, but it's not necessarily going to sound better.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
are you playing live shows? because for years i used a crate glx65 (1x12 combo amp) for live gigs and as long as its mic'd up you're fine and the crate amps can definitely do metal really well. If you are playing live shows and really need the extra power then maybe look into a tube amp or a modeling/tube amp but what you have is fine.

i find a lot of people put down crate amps on this board but they really aren't that bad and for SS's I think they have a good sound, especially if you're using older crate's that were built in the USA.

have you tried the settings i suggested earlier on? how has that been going?
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Jan 3, 2010,