So I was up in Rochester, NY visiting some of my family, and my uncle just recently started playing guitar so he has GAS like none other...the only thing that seperates him from a teenager is that he has money so he took me to some guitar stores.

Anyway, we went to two stores. The first we went to was called House of Guitars. I tried out the new Epiphone Wilshire reissue, a Blues Junior, and Hot Rod Deluxe. The next day, we went to the Rochester Guitar Center and I played a MIM Strat through the new VOX Night Train, the Jet City JCA20H, and the Egnater Rebel 20.

Epiphone Wilshire Reissue
Definitely a solid guitar. Not by any means a high-quality guitar, but I'd definitely buy one. I really liked the feel of the body, it was really easy to hit the high frets. Neck was a little bit chunkier than my Strat, but I liked it. I REALLY liked the sound of the mini-humbuckers. A good medium between single-coils and regular humbuckers. All in all, a good guitar. Like I said, I'd definitely buy one.

Fender Blues Junior
Not really much to say about this because I couldn't crank it. Cleans and reverb were pristine though.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
The cleans, were alot like the Blues Junior, but with more bass. Reverb was the same. Overdrive settings were surprisingly nice, really thick and fluid. The Drive channel gave you some good dirty blues and rock settings, and the More Drive channel gave just picked up where the Drive channel left off. I could get a really good Neil Young type "amp-about-to-explode" setting. Final evaluation: Great amp. Pretty good price for what it does. I'm probably going to buy one once I get the money.

VOX Night Train
With my fascination with VOX, this amp is somewhat of a disappointment. While it sounded REALLY good, there wasn't much I could do to tweak the sound. The EQ was MUCH too subtle to really hear much of a change. Cleans were alot less chimey than I would expect from a VOX, but the cleans and overdrive were still pretty nice. The bright switch gave me a bit more of that chime I was looking for. I didn't mess around too much with the thick switch so I can't tell you much about that. Final evaluation: One trick pony. Hands down. It does that trick great, but you can get amps with alot more features for the price.

Jet City JCA20H
I know that this amp has been getting alot of great publicity on this site, so when I saw it in GC, I HAD to try it out. I can definitely see why people like it. Sounds really great. A little less thick than the Night Train, but still a really great rock/blues, indie, anything you want. It could do metal, but you'd need a pedal in front. The only gripe I have with it is that you need to have the gain down quite a bit to get clean. Final evaluation: Wow. Fantastic amp for the price range. Pretty much on par with the Night Train tonally but $200 USD cheaper. This will most likely be my next amp.

Egnater Rebel 20
I can't really say much about this because I couldn't spend much time with it because I had to leave. It can get pretty agressive pretty fast metal would be a breeze for this. The Tube Mix knob is REALLY cool. Provides for alot of different tones. Also, the Output Level knob lets you bring the volume down alot. It would be fine for home practice because you can bring it down to 1 watt. Final evaluation: Good amp. Alot of potential tone tweaking due to the Tube Mix, OP knob, bright, and thick switches. It's a bit too high gain for me, so I couldn't really see myself buying it. However, if I did play metal, I would buy this.

I hope these were helpful to anyone, or at the very least, entertaining to read.

-Luke

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Tl:dr
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
WOOT! Welcome to the JCA fan club mate!

I might just start a thread for em, if enough people start to own them here on UG. I agree with your take on the cleans, that was my only beef as well. Aside from that, fantastic amplifier for the price.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by lkngro

Fender Blues Junior
Not really much to say about this because I couldn't crank it. Cleans and reverb were pristine though.

+1

This is my main amp. Distortion is pretty much impossible on it without pedals, but you can't be the clean sound of it. Sounds like windchimes. And it's pretty loud for its size.
Egnater Rebel 20 can do metal?

good reviews nonetheless!
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
Egnater Rebel 20 can do metal?

good reviews nonetheless!

+1

I didn't think it had nearly enough gain. But I'm used to my XXX I guess. I liked the OD on the Egnater more than the Night Train...but ended up buying the NT instead. Cheaper and better cleans IMO...although the thick setting is kind of muddy; I use an EQ pedal and a boost to fix that though. Neither amp is nearly as muddy as the Orange TT though.

Cool reviews
Wow, you liked the drive on the HRD? I pretty much ignore it entirely on mine, and use it for the cleans exclusively, and the fact that it takes pedals like the fat kid eats cake.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Wow, you liked the drive on the HRD? I pretty much ignore it entirely on mine, and use it for the cleans exclusively, and the fact that it takes pedals like the fat kid eats cake.

+1

I would never consider using the distortion on mine for anything.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by denied
DUDE!

So, my grandma lives in that area, and I bought my first guitar from house of guitars!

What a fantastic store..

yeah apparently the guy who owns House of Guitars has a collection with a bunch of the guitars that the Beatles used. It's pretty sweet. Insanely cramped and dusty in there though. I was coughing and sneezing so much.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
VOX Night Train
With my fascination with VOX, this amp is somewhat of a disappointment. While it sounded REALLY good, there wasn't much I could do to tweak the sound. The EQ was MUCH too subtle to really hear much of a change. Cleans were alot less chimey than I would expect from a VOX, but the cleans and overdrive were still pretty nice. The bright switch gave me a bit more of that chime I was looking for. I didn't mess around too much with the thick switch so I can't tell you much about that. Final evaluation: One trick pony. Hands down. It does that trick great, but you can get amps with alot more features for the price.

you realize that the thick mode bypasses the entire tone stack right. I guess that would make the eq subtle or in this case non-existent.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
you realize that the thick mode bypasses the entire tone stack right. I guess that would make the eq subtle or in this case non-existent.

well even so, with the thick switch off it was still very subtle.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Quote by Koshman32
Tl:dr

**** off then you lazy shite.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by lkngro
well even so, with the thick switch off it was still very subtle.

are we playing the same amp??
because it's tone stack works exactly how a pot based tone stack should work. There is no sound when all the pots are off and almost full bypass when the pots are on all the way. Admit it..you scooped it didn't you and that's all you did.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
are we playing the same amp??
because it's tone stack works exactly how a pot based tone stack should work. There is no sound when all the pots are off and almost full bypass when the pots are on all the way. Admit it..you scooped it didn't you and that's all you did.

I'm just saying that the EQ was too subtle for my tastes. Now that means different things to different people. It's just my opinion.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
^ Yeah VOX seems to be doing alot of complicated things so that you can get different tones such as adding the Tone Cut knob and Bass Shift switch, but they could solve the problem by just making the EQ pots a bit more potent.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees