Poll: Are Buskers respectable people?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are Buskers respectable people?
Yes
85 91%
No
8 9%
Voters: 93.
Why, hello again pit!
I am a beginning busker. I have not made much money yet, but people do seem to like me. I love doing it, but I get a little self concious. I wanted to know the Pit's opinions on Buskers and whether they'd tip them and under what conditions if so.
So, Buskers: Good, aredworking folks or filthy hobos?
if you're good, then it's cool. if not, then its not cool
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
im canadian and wtf does busking mean?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by chaoticfables
Great. My friend earns at least $65 on his street every time he busks - he's a respectable guitarist.

Oh wow, what does he do? I've heard a lot of Flamenco guitarist do very well
Quote by bass-man9712
im canadian and wtf does busking mean?

Playing guitar on the street for money.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by Kino Chan
Oh wow, what does he do? I've heard a lot of Flamenco guitarist do very well

I dunno. I think he uses his beat-up, old, tiny, nylon-stringed guitar.

Either that or he somehow plugs his Epi LP on the street and starts playing power chords.
Quote by Kino Chan
Buskers are basically street performers.

lol i figured it out right after i posted that... oh well thanks anyway
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I do. At first I couldn't sing loud enough, but it comes with confidence. It's a nice way to get rid of stage fright too.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
Quote by migueltherocker
I do. At first I couldn't sing loud enough, but it comes with confidence. It's a nice way to get rid of stage fright too.

I can barely sing, I'm so nervous. My limbs turn to jello whenever I do it. How long did it take for the stage fright to go away?
Quote by Kino Chan
I can barely sing, I'm so nervous. My limbs turn to jello whenever I do it. How long did it take for the stage fright to go away?

It's not about time, it's about experience and variety. Playing alot of songs for one person won't do you as much good as playing one song, many times, to different people. Do simple stuff, stuff you know you can do perfectly. Also, pretend you're 100% confident, even if you aren't. People will be less likely to criticize you that way. The only way to really get over it is just doing it over and over.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM

Quote by ShredHead396

first stack ^
I'd do it.

To be honest, i'd definitely like to try it out one day. IMO a lot of it has to do with how you present yourself. If you look like a college student doing this for fun then people will really enjoy it. Also, take into account where you're doing this.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
is it just me or does this thread look EXACTLY, and I mean EXACTLY like one that was made some time ago about busking, and the same replies, only that the date isn't from the past, its from today?? or am i just tripping balls/
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by this&that
is it just me or does this thread look EXACTLY, and I mean EXACTLY like one that was made some time ago about busking, and the same replies, only that the date isn't from the past, its from today?? or am i just tripping balls/

This is all a dreeaaaaaaammmmm. Woooooooo.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM

Quote by ShredHead396

first stack ^
Some of the locals that busk near my work are just terrible, but then alternatively there are these guys who just sit there and play blues on a slide guitar and harmonica while drinking jack who are total badasses (good music too). There's also this guy that comes out after his kids go to bed.

Purely for the buskers that are entertaining I'll say they ARE respectable people, though some really do suck.
It's something I would definitely do if I had a place to do it. I do plan on eventually moving to Chicago, though - even if it's only with my car and equipment. Busking would come in handy for buying food and gas. I'm pretty good at Chicago west side style blues, also.
We're only strays.
Hobos beg. Buskers are actually giving you something.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Yes, I busk.

Me and my mate made like $140 in a few hours at a rather small market.
Old lady's generally give you lots of money, and humor is appreciated. We had a sign outside my case that said: "Need money for busking license" .... I still don't have one lol
I'd respect it if the people doing it could play more than 4 campfire chords
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
there was a busker that used to play in the town centre, i was like 5 and always used to give him a couple of pound when i walked passed him, he was well cool, he was a hobo tho, his guitar had one string and he only strummed that string open really fast and hard (thats what she said)

but i found out a few months ago some jackass chav walked up to him and stabbed him.. what a dick stabbing MY hobo

but yeah buskers are cool and respectable
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by kakos
there was a busker that used to play in the town centre, i was like 5 and always used to give him a couple of pound when i walked passed him, he was well cool, he was a hobo tho, his guitar had one string and he only strummed that string open really fast and hard (thats what she said)

but i found out a few months ago some jackass chav walked up to him and stabbed him.. what a dick stabbing MY hobo

but yeah hobos are cool and respectable

Foken chavs.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM

Quote by ShredHead396

first stack ^
Buskers are certainly more respectable than some other people in business these days, thats for damn sure.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by chaoticfables
Great. My friend earns at least $65 on his street every time he busks - he's a respectable guitarist.

!!! You forget your E-Wife busks too!

I get about $100 an hour. You gotta make sure you play the right songs at the right time... is there a heap of old people around? 50's Rock'n'Roll it up!

It's awesome, do it!

And, yeah... I give money to buskers all the time, as long as they are actually good and not just some hobo playing the same chords over and over again, or if they are lip synching, and I don't really like backing tracks (live ftw)..
Quote by Zoot Allures
4 people voted no. Explain yourselves?! :|

To be a non-conformist you have to dress all in black. and listen to the same music we do. And have the same attitude. And vote the same way as us on polls.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM

Quote by ShredHead396

first stack ^
Everyone knows that buskers don't have souls
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I would seriously love to busk some day.
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...