Hey, I'm looking for a cheap usb/firewire interface. Nothing fancy, just something so that I don't have to go through my mic input.

It doesn't need to sound great, just decent. totally fine with going used, it is actually preferred.

I've been looking at the old line 6 toneports, are they any good and is there anything better/on par in that price range?

Thanks a lot
Toneports are awesome. I had a great experience with mine before it fried (completely my fault).

I got a Lexicon Alpha, nothing but trouble. Bad latency with it's ASIO drivers and ASIO4ALL, plus this high pitched noise was always in the mix.

I sent it back, and now I'm about to buy a used Toneport on ebay.
Quote by Ignite
I got a Lexicon Alpha, nothing but trouble. Bad latency with it's ASIO drivers and ASIO4ALL, plus this high pitched noise was always in the mix.

Really? I've had no problems with noise. I don't know about the latency though, since I monitor using the unit itself, and not the DAW.

Edit: I shouldn't say "no problems" really. I've only had problems with it when recording something too quiet.
depends on what you need man. If you're just looking to record your guitar you don't even need a recording interface. just get a usb/mic. if you need something more robust, like you want to record vocals and guitar on seperate tracks at the same time then you need to look at other stuff. Which is it?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by denied
My understanding is if i just run my 57 througha mixer and into the mic input, im reducing thousands of dollars of gear through a worthless soundcard. I've tried it a few times and it sounds like crap.

Pretty much. The mic/line in inputs on cheap computer soundcards are noisy and muddy up the signal.

Any audio interface from about $150 (maybe $100) and up should do the job. Just read reviews and don't get something that's rated bad.

As I said, the Line 6 Toneport worked great for me. But look at the inputs and outputs of the interface and see if it has what you need. Whether is be XLR inputs or whatnot.
For USB - Line 6 GX or UX1 or UX2 (depending on your price/requirements)
For Firewire - Alesis IO14 or IO26
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera